Chapter 9

Bianca's POV

No matter how hard we pushed, it kept forcing its way through the door. Vanessa and I ran into the room to find something to throw at it or cut it while Juan held the door. Though we were armed again, we were too terrified to get too close to it so we threw things at it small pots, ancient boxes of crackers, packets of salt. Anything. One packet burst open spilling salt onto the vine. The vine lashed around, hissing before retreating from the room and the door slammed shut under Juan's full weight. We looked at each other amazed.

"Of course! Salt!" Vanessa said, her voice light with relief.

Mae POV

"Tyler!" Elle exclaimed becoming more restless, trying to break free. She used her knife to cut herself free. I turned to Bruno.
"We have to help her!" I shouted over the tumult. He understood. I cut the vines around her arms free as Bruno struggled to cut those around her waist so she could help Tyler. She held onto the vines around him as we continued to cut her loose. The surrounding vines thinned and soon we were no longer swimming in them.
"Elle! I like you... I've liked you since the second day of school when we met. Remember when we met first. You thought you were annoying me." She nodded.
"I was shy. I didn't know what to say around you so I didn't speak at first but I'm glad we became friends."
"Tyler I'm glad too, but why are you saying all this." She asked.
"Elle That night, when Yohan was taken I wanted to tell you. I had even picked an orchid for you." He said reaching into his pocket to present her a gorgeous red flower. Tears ran down her face. She struggled the sharp thorns digging into her, try to free herself while containing her emotions.
"I'll love you forever!" At that Elle's eyes changed becoming hard with determined.
"No!" She yelled thrashing about slashing at the vines. The surrounding vines were pulling him closer and closer to the windows, tearing them apart.
"Tyler!" She cried. "Don't say stuff like that! We'll be fine." But on his face there was a look of quiet resignation as if he somehow knew this was all his fault. He closed his eyes.
Elle had gotten freejust as the vines pulled him through the window. "Tyler!" She screamed, jumping through the window after him. Luckily Bruno was able grab her collar.

"Elle stop!" He pleaded, pulling her back in

"You being taken too won't save him. Just try to stay calm until help arrives! You said it yourself. We have to make it through the night."

Bianca's POV

Seeing the vines retreat from the salt, we took several packs of salt and ran out to the lobby. It seemed we had been the only group able to follow Mr Benjamin's instructions. We tossed salt around to free our friends. Accidentally throwing it in the eyes and onto cuts of those we were trying to save.
"Sorry." I said to Melinda. I didn't feel too bad because I never really liked her and the plant that had been strangling her was now loosening it's grip. Everybody wins! We continued to free our friends when we heard a terrible scream cut through the chaos. It was Elle.