6. I Silently Pray To God It's Not My Name

Start from the beginning

"Martina," he says.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I zoned out. I was just thinking," I shake my head as if to shake out my thoughts.

"That's alright," Bailey smiles at me. "OK, so it asks us to write a five-hundred to seven-hundred-word report about what we think about body image and being positive and society and all that other stuff."

"Alright," I say, suddenly feeling slightly uncomfortable. Maybe it's because we have such contrasting body types.

"So, I'll make a document and then I'll share it with you so we can both access it," Bailey gets up and grabs his computer, coming back with it already open.

"Right," he says, his eyes glued to the computer. Glancing at me, he smiles and pats the space beside him. I scoot over and watch him as he opens a document.

"OK," Bailey looks over at me. "What should we do first?"

I sigh, "Well, obviously we're going to need a plan. What are we going to talk about? Are we going to need to back anything up with scientific evidence? Are we doing firsthand experiences? Like, our own experiences? How do we set it out? We also need to look at the criteria and we're going to need to work on it outside of school because this is due in three weeks and I'm sure we're going to have more assignments if we're getting a Life Skills assignment. Life Skills. Since we're two different body types - you're fit, I'm fat - I feel like we can give a really good insight into our own personal thoughts and really-"

I stop at the sight of Bailey yawning. I mean, gold medal, bro. You didn't fall asleep completely.

"I'm so sorry," I face-palm myself. "I have a tendency to ramble on if you hadn't already noticed. I'm surprised you're still awake."

"Nah, it's alright," Bailey waves his hand as if shooing away a problem. "Those were some really good points though."

Beaming, I say, "Great! Well, let's get started."

Life Skills flies by and Bailey and I have already planned to meet up tomorrow afternoon to work on the assignment. I think it's going to go really well. Bailey and I seem to be interacting way more than usual. Especially for the popular boy and fat girl. I guess that we could be classed as friends.

I'm currently at lunch sitting on the oval with Thomas and Samuel and his group. There's Layla, who has really long hair, Teddy and George - I didn't even know they were in the same group - and Freya.

"Samo, do you have English next?" Thomas asks.

Now, this... this catches me completely off guard. Heart thumping in my chest, I look over at Thomas. He's sitting closely to Samuel - or Samo, as Thomas now likes to call him - so that they're arms are touching. Sadness wells up inside me and I can't help but furrow my brows in anger.

I don't have any lunch today; I 'forgot' to pack it. Therefore, I have no food to take my anger out on. Dammit.

"Uh, yeah I think I do, actually," Samuel replies, nodding.

"Great!" Thomas claps his hands together. "You can sit with Martina and me."

Wow. So as soon as he starts using Samuel's new nickname, I instantly lose mine.

Layla and Freya start up a conversation with me about celebrities that they think are hot. I feel comfortable talking about who I think is hot because Layla also has some chub on her. I would always get uncomfortable when Tiffany talked about her celebrity crushes because she was always so skinny and flawless. I thought because I was fat, I wasn't allowed to crush on celebrities. But I threw that rule out the window years ago.

"What do you think of Dwayne Johnson?" Freya asks, twirling a finger around her fire-like red hair.

"Oh my gosh, so hot!" Layla squeals.

"Marsh?" Freya smiles at me. She and Layla started calling me Marsh because it's similar to my name and apparently I'm cute like a marshmallow. I'm also chubby like one.

"I think he's really hot," I say, blushing.

The girls and I giggle.

"Chris Pratt?" I suggest.

Layla's eyes widen and her mouth drops. "He's a fucking god. I love him."

"She has a bit of an obsession," Freya stage-whispers to me.

"I might be able to relate," I stage-whisper back.

"I'm going to triple that thought," Freya says, laughing.

I throw my head back in laughter. These two girls have got to be the best medicine when you're feeling down. They're so upbeat that my worries and anger about Thomas have subsided.

"Did you guys hear that?" It's George. The boys are all looking at Layla, Freya and me expectantly.

"Sorry," Layla says, "but we were a bit busy in our own conversation."

"Yeah, OK, but this so important," Teddy adds.

"What is it?" I ask, rather intrigued.

"The swimming carnival has been moved to tomorrow," Samuel explains.

Well, shit.