thirty-five ✰ i. happ (chc)

nice catch

for ayekay14

nice catch✰ ✰ ✰for ayekay14

My heart races. Ian Happ is standing a mere twenty feet away from me in centre field. Seeing as I bought the closest seats I possibly could to the field, I'm freaking out, just realizing the little distance there is between Happ and I. If you couldn't already tell, I'm a huge Cubs fan, and not to mention, probably the biggest Ian Happ fan. And I would be lying if I said I only liked him for his outstanding skills. My heart melts, simply at the sight of his back to me. The current at bat ends quickly, the ball bouncing directly at Javy, who effortlessly makes the play to first. The next batter trots toward the batter's box, but I couldn't care less. My focus remains on the beautiful sight of Ian Happ right in front of me. Suddenly, I'm met with the sight of sunglasses, rather than the backside of a jersey. And it takes my brain a few seconds to register the fact Ian Happ had turned around - and looked directly at me. He's even more gorgeous in person. My jaw drops, my hands shaking as the sign I'd made falls to the floor. I can see Ian lightly chuckle from here, and I don't need a mirror to know my cheeks must be as red as a tomato. Taking a small breath, I quickly hurry to gather the things I'd dropped - including my sign, as Ian turns himself back around, turning his attention back to the batter. As my shaky hands reach for the poster, I take in the sight of the board I'd worked so hard on, specifically for Ian. In black paint, it reads 'Ian, I'll trade you a game ball for a date ;)'. A little risky, but what have I got to lose, am I right? A few second pass a stare at the sign, recalling the few hours I'd spent making this masterpiece. And it hits me - I just had a perfect opportunity for Ian to see my poster. And what do I do? I drop the freaking sign. A loud crack sends me out of my thoughts, looking up to see the ball flying towards centre. Happ quickly follows the ball towards the wall. The ball is high, but not high enough to be a homerun. As the ball comes sailing down, Ian jumps into the ivy. The ball falls right into his glove, making the third out of the first inning. Jogging slightly away from the wall, Happ turns to face the crowd. My arms soar into the air, holding my sign as high as I possibly can. Noticing my eager self, a smile sneaks onto Ian's face as he slowly reads my sign. And the ball comes flying in my direction. Dropping my sign, once again, the ball falls perfectly into my two hands. I stare at the ball in awe, a huge smile spread across my face.

"Nice catch!" A deep voice calls in the loud stadium. And while the rest of the fans sit behind me, the voice comes from in front of where I'm seated. My heads snaps up to see none other than Ian Happ, smiling at me. My heart drops; in a good way, if that's even possible. I let out a small laugh, lowering my head to look at the ground, trying to hide the blush across my cheeks. I examine the ball, looking back up at Ian to catch his waving at me as he jogs away. I'm hesitant to wave back, still starstruck. I force my hand into the air, offering the smallest wave. I take deep breaths, my gaze stuck on his back as Ian jogs towards the dugout. I can't even begin to describe what's running through my mind, let alone how I'm feeling. Looking down once more as I feel the eyes of other in the crowd burning holes in the back of my head, I notice something - my sign. In my hands, I have a game ball. Does that mean I owe Ian Happ a date? I gasp, those beside me turning to look, confused. That. Just. Happened.

~

Unfortunately, the game comes to an end. But on the bright side, the Cubs earned the win, 5-3, also sweeping the three-game series. I can't see much from where I'm sitting, but because of how early the game ended and how long I'd have to wait for the bus, I decided to stay back for a while, attempting to catch some of the post game fun. Pulling my phone out, I update my best friend on everything that happened. Even though she's probably extremely annoyed about my obsession with Ian, she's still extremely excited for me. Positioning myself to be in a more comfortable position, I catch sight of the ball once again. My heart jumps. Words will never be able to explain how much that ball means to me. I'm sure it will always hold a special place in my heart, along with Ian Happ.

"Hi," A familiar deep voice speaks. My head snaps up as I jump in my seat, almost dropping my phone in the process. I search the seats around me for anyone, only to realize I'm alone in centre field. I furrow my brow, extremely confused.

"Down here." The voice says with a laugh. I stand from my seat, turning my attention to the field. And there, standing before me is a man with a HAPPy smile ( ahahah see what I did there? ) , and bright eyes. Ian Happ is talking to me.

"Oh, uh. Hah, hi." I can barely reply. The words come out as small mumbles as I'm in awe. Ian looks to the seat beside me, the seat in which I'd placed my sign. A short laugh comes from the field as Ian points toward the sign.

"I really like your sign." He says, turning back to me. My eyes land on my sign, it hitting me what I'd written. Oh my god.

"Uhm,-" I let out a small laugh, along with a sigh.

"This is really embarrassing. I'm sorry." I apologize, causing a Ian's eyes to soften.

"Don't apologize. I said I liked it." Ian says calmly, a wide smile still spread across his lips.

"Oh, right. Thanks." I nod, staring into his jaw dropping eyes. He shoves his hands into the pockets of his sweats, his arm muscles moving with every action. I'm sure I'm drooling.

"So when is it?" He interrupts the silence. Thoughts run through my head as I have no idea what he could possibly be referring to. A perplexed look appears on my face, earning a light chuckle from Ian.

"When is what?" I ask, completely dumbfounded. Ian bites his lip.

"Our date." He answers simply. My mouth falls open, a blush rising to my cheeks once again. I struggle to find a reply, searching for the right thing to say. But in this situation, is there a right thing to say?

"Uh, I wasn't really serious about that."

"But I was." As soon as the words leave his mouth, my heart beats faster every second. Once again, I find myself speechless. Partly confused, but I'm mainly starstruck. I remain silent, and the space around us becomes extremely awkward, to me at least. Yet, Ian still seems so confident and genuine.

"I'm just saying, I got you a game ball, does that not mean you owe me a date? Y'know, like you promised." He says, motioning to the sign sat beside me. I play with my hands in my lap, still completely dumbfounded and unable to speak. A notification pops up on my phone, lighting the screen as well as revealing the time. 9:15 pm. Shock and fear run through my body. My bus is scheduled for 9:20 pm. I quickly begin gathering my things, feeling extremely rushed. Catching a glimpse of Ian, he looks extremely confused.

"I'm really sorry, I have to go. My bus comes in five minutes, and the stop is probably four minutes away." I say quickly, still rushing to collect my items, making sure to safely place the ball in my bag.

"Wait, here - take this." Ian tosses a small crumpled paper into the stands, falling onto the floor directly in front of me. I pick it up, slowly flattening the sheet to reveal ten numbers written messily.

"xxx-xxx-xxxx
call me ;) - ian happ #8"

A million thoughts run through my head as I examine the white paper, shaking in my trembling hands. I'm sure my mouth is hanging wide open as I turn back to face Ian - only to see him slowly walking back into the clubhouse. Looking down, I stare at the paper for a few more seconds - taking everything in. Various emotions surge through my body. I guess I owe Ian Happ a date.

-

lol i'm canadian so we would spell "center field" centre field haha don't worry, i know how to spell ,, anyways i really hope you like this girly !! 💗💗

jillian