One Hundred Twenty-Nine & One Hundred Thirty

Magsimula sa umpisa

A soft tap on the door signaled the arrival of my father.

“How are things up here?”

“She’s all ready,” my mother said proudly, as my father stepped into the room and took in my appearance.

“What’s happened to my little girl?” he asked,” She’s all grown up!”

“I’m right here!” I laughed, hugging my father as my mum watched on.

“You’re a very lucky girl Jessica,” my father said, “That boy has pulled out all the stops for you today.”

“Has he?”

“Just wait!” my Dad grinned, a twinkle in his eye.

I could feel the nerves coming on as my parents stood and whispered for a minute, Marnie finally emerging from the en suite in her maid of honor dress.

“You all ready?” my Dad asked, “We’ve got a girl right here that needs marrying off!”

“Let’s go!” Marnie shouted, causing the other girls to laugh.

My mother left the room first, and then the girls followed the practiced routine from the rehearsal the night before. But, instead of heading out into the garden they went down the main hall to the ballroom.

“I’m proud of you,” my Dad whispered to me as we wandered down the hall, the last in line.

“For what?”

“I so thought you were going to be Miss Dragon Lady and come running downstairs the minute the rain started. But you stayed put!”

“Wait a second,” I said, “You know about Dragon Lady?”

“Course!” my Dad laughed, “Everyone in the office called you that.”

“And you didn’t care?”

“It takes a powerful woman to run a tight ship,” my Dad said, “I wouldn’t have you any other way.”

I smiled up at him, kissing his cheek gently as we made it to the ballroom.

The butterflies in my stomach were flying out of control as the door was pushed open and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Aston had known my vision for the wedding when we were planning on having it outside, but with most of the decorations ruined and a change of location, I had no idea what sort of magic he worked.

As I stepped into the ballroom I felt my heart explode. The dim lighting was accentuated by fairy lights that were strewn all over the room, and hundreds of lilies lined the aisles and the alter.

The groomsmen were stood to one side with silly grins on their faces as they took in my reaction, and the bridesmaids were smiling away clearly impressed by the boys’ effort.

And then I caught eyes with my groom and my heart melted.

It was perfect. All of it. It was the fairytale wedding I’d imagined when I was a little girl, the memories of making Freddy marry Marnie in the back garden finally coming back to me.

“See,” my Dad whispered as we made our way down the aisle, “You’ve found a good one.”

“Yeah I have,” I breathed out.

My hands were shaking with excitement as we finally made it to the end of the aisle, my father giving Aston a hug as he passed my hand over to him.

Aston’s eyes glittered in the fairy lights as he stood in front of me, my hands in his.

“You like it?” he whispered to me.

“I fucking love you,” I whispered back, leaning forward and giving him a kiss right on the mouth.