Chapter Twenty-Two | Practice

---Third P.o.V---

  Out of habit, Vivienne woke in the early morning, very early morning. Three a.m. to be exact. She opened her eyes and felt a strange cloth around her. What is this? Are these restraints? Wait ....a comforter? She was puzzled by the thick blanket encasing her, not exactly accustomed to the luxurious lifestyle.

   She rolled out of bed, still stuck in the fabric, hitting the carpet with a 'thud'. Vivienne had the urge to hit something, to fight. She creaked open her bedroom door, glad it didn't make a sound. Passing by the boys' bedrooms, her far above average hearing couldn't pick up the sounds of breathing.

Strange.

   Not bothering to turn on the lights, Vivienne strolled through the barely illuminated halls, not searching for anything in particular. She decided to take a trip to the library, where Katherine completed her project with Tim. She breathed in the scent of old parchment and oak, reveling in the comforting aroma. She sat on a love seat, crossing her legs on the chair. Almost immediately after she settled down, a grandfather clock opened to reveal Bruce, Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian speaking of tonight's patrol.

   "Oh, how I love our family outings," Dick said, grinning from ear to ear. Vivienne's chair faced away from them, the large back covering their view of her.

   "I agree. Your aim was... commendable, Todd," Damian commented, recently trying to come off less harsh.

  "Really? Thanks Demon Spawn!" he said, hugging him. Vivienne's eyes twitched at his words. Did he just call my mother a Demon?

   "Have fun?" Vivienne called out, making the boys leap in the air as if a firecracker went off. She stood gracefully, placing her book on the coffee table.

   "Vivienne? What are you doing up so late?" Bruce questioned.

   "Mr. Wayne, I was simply following my natural circadian rhythm. I'm afraid it's become habit," she responded, observing her nails.

   "You need more than five hours a day Vee," Jason said, making Vivienne furrow her brows.

   "Sorry, what was that?" she asked, narrowing her eyes.

   "A nickname. Do you like it? Vivienne is just too long," he proposed. Vivienne hummed in thought.

   "Hmm, I suppose it's passable. Not the worst name I've been called," she said, shrugging.

   "I think you should go back to sleep Vivienne," Dick advised. Vivienne laughed coldly, sending chills down their spines.

   "You don't understand Richard Grayson, I can't sleep. If I stay unconscious for an extended period of time, I tend to... forget myself," she explained. She preferred calling her brothers-in-law by their full name, in an attempt to distance herself.

   "I've already told you, well Katherine, you can call me Dick. But since you can't go to sleep, did you want a tour of the batcave?" Dick asked, since she had already been there once, albeit briefly.

   "I believe it's good to attempt to familiarize myself with my surroundings. I'd appreciate that," she replied, brushing nonexistent dust off her clothes. Once the group made their way to the cave, Vivienne couldn't help but smile at the change in atmosphere.

   "Impressive. I've never seen such advanced technology all in one place before. This is extraordinary," she awed, spinning elegantly in a circle to observe. She wore a simple gray t-shirt and black sweatpants, courtesy of Tim, though she had an air of aristocracy around her. 

   "Here's the garage," Dick said, motioning to the several motorbikes, bat-mobile, and bat-jet in a large concrete room.

   "The sparring room," he continued. A large blue mat covered the floor, while a various weapons such as katanas, escrima sticks, and bo staffs lined the walls.

   "Medical and interrogation rooms," he said, gesturing to two doors opposite from each other.

   "And the gym." he completed. This was Vivienne's favorite room by far. Inside, various gymnastics equipment caught her eye, like the parallel bars, high beam, and uneven bars, as well as a trapeze and trampoline.

  "Richard, you were part of the Flying Graysons, correct?" Vivienne asked, eager to jump into action once more. Dick gulped painfully and nodded.

   "Would you like to do their trapeze act with me? I believe I'm a bit out of practice," she asked, shocking the group.

   "You know how to use a trapeze? You can do the Flying Graysons' act?" Jason asked, bewildered.

   "Jason Todd, what part of 'every skill' did you not understand? What do you think Richard? Would you like to try?" she answered holding out her hand. Dick was hesitant, to say the least, to do this death-defying activity with a fifteen year old girl, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to finally follow in his parents footsteps, reliving the bliss of the past. He grasped her hand with a smile. Once they reached the top of the ladder, everyone held their breath, awaiting the scene before them.

    Dick jumped off first, grabbing a bar, which he flipped off of onto the next. He had to admit, the familiar gust of wind past his face felt so freeing as he reached the other side. As Vivienne held onto the bar swinging towards her, she promptly let go after a handstand on the bar, grasping Dick's wrists. She flipped forward, Dick catching and gripping her ankles tightly. As Dick tossed her into the air towards the side, Vivienne made a small adjustment to the original routine, doing not four, but five consecutive flips. She successfully landed onto the platform, standing perfectly straight. Dick completed his once impossible quadruple back flip, grounded next to her, breathing heavily.

   "You weren't lying, that was amazing. How did you know the moves? And I don't know if I counted right, was that really five?" Dick questioned, grinning from ear to ear while climbing down the ladder. 

   "When I was four, I learnt how to use a trapeze as part of my training in acrobatics. To be the best, I had to beat the best. I was brought to a circus to observe the most impressive feat at the time, The Flying Graysons. Once I memorized their routine, I had to succeed beyond it, as always. Therefore, I added an additional rotation to the ending." Vivienne replied, barely sweating. Awaiting them on the ground, were four slack-jawed heroes.

   "Y-you did a quintuple back flip," Tim gasped, his eyes wide. This made Vivienne's raise her eyebrows in amusement.

   "And?" she questioned, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

  "It's never been done before! The most ever done was four, and that was by Dick and his parents!" Jason remarked incredulously. Vivienne smirked.

   "Really? I would've thought in the five years I was out someone had done it by now," she muttered, shaking her head in disappointment.

  "Really. By the way, the Queens are coming over in 5 hours, so be ready to spar," Tim said, walking out of the room. How is she so.... perfect? No, she's better than perfect.

   "I think I will just touch up on my training until then. Have a good evening," Vivienne concluded, turning away from them. She smirked at herself.

Oh, how much fun this will be.

______________

Hm. Vivienne is starting to become a Mary Sue. I don't like it.

~Lz :3