One Hundred Nineteen & One Hundred Twenty

Start from the beginning

“Jessica, I just wanted to tell you… I’m still in love with you.”

I tried really hard not to spit my drink out when he said that, but I failed miserably as I realized champagne was dribbling down my chin. “Excuse me?”

“I said I still love you.”

“Still?” I asked, my eyebrow raised. I could see Aston trying to keep his cool across the table and I was desperately trying to hide a smirk.

“Jessica I’m hopelessly in love with you and I just wish that you could see that we were made for each other,” George said, “I’m begging you…”

“So basically,” I said, “You’re asking me to leave my fiancée for you?”

George’s eyes lit up at the idea and I couldn’t help but let the smirk out. “Well I mean…” he started.

“George, I’m not going to do any such thing.”

“But…”

“I’m not trying to be mean or anything, but I have to be blunt,” I said slowly, “I don’t love you. I never have. I never will. I’m marrying Aston in just a few months. I’m sorry if this isn’t what you envisioned, but it’s the reality I’ve chosen.”

“You’re getting married?” he asked.

“Didn’t you see the ring?” I frowned. Damn, I thought I’d finally managed an excellent Mean Girls moment.

“No,” he said.

“George, no doubt there is a great guy in there somewhere, very deep, but it’s not the guy for me.”

“Jessica please…”

“You’ll find someone who will actually want to speak to you, I promise,” I said.

“But…”

“Mate, she isn’t interested,” Aston said. I could tell he was getting a bit annoyed by this conversation. Who wouldn’t? A guy had just asked his fiancée to leave him!

I watched George hold back a snarl as he turned to Aston, “I didn’t ask you!”

“Sorry,” Aston said, his hands in the air.

“Actually George, we have you to thank for getting us together,” I said.

“What?” he stuttered.

“That first night I went out with Aston we ran into you and I made him kiss me to make you leave us alone,” I shrugged.

I could see the wheels ticking in George’s brain as he stared at me, a massive frown forming on his face as it all came together.

“So thanks,” I concluded.

“I can’t believe this,” he said with annoyance on his voice. I watched him push his way up from the table and stalk off towards the bar.

“I feel a little bit bad,” I said to Aston as we stared at each other, willing the other not to laugh out loud.

“That was absurd though.”

“We were due a run in,” I grinned, sliding over two chairs so I could sit next to him, his hand sliding protectively around my shoulders.

“Well I’m glad you were able to thank the guy that got us together.”

“It really brings things full circle!” I giggled.

We made our way home not much later, still laughing about how ridiculous George had been. It was bad enough that he tried to cut in on Aston and I dancing, but professing his love to me while Aston was sitting right there? That was downright insane.