MEA CULPA

Hayley rang the doorbell three times to Taylor's house, greeted by his angry father.

"Hey there, Mr. York!" Hayley grinned falsely, putting on an obvious facade, "It's great to see you! Is Taylor here?"

He rolled his eyes, blocking the doorway. "And why would I let my son see some hippie freak? Who says you or your customs are allowed in this house?"

Taylor rushed down the stairs, obviously in a hurry, wearing only jeans with the belt halfway done. "Hayley! You're here! What's up?"

His father looked back to him scowling, asking, "What business do you have with her, then? Are you gonna quit the military and go and tattoo a flower on your ass?"

Hayley looked back at him with pleading eyes, mouthing 'its important'.

Taylor looked back at her, with her tears in her eyes. "Hayley, what's wrong? Is this urgent? Come upstairs."

Hayley left the doorway and followed Taylor upstairs, going into his room. It was painted army green and had a Korean War poster up on the wall. "I've had an army fate, if you're wondering," he responded, looking at Hayley as she scanned the room. "Now tell me, Hayley. What's troubling you?"

They both sat on the bed, Taylor forgetting about his clothes for the most part. Hayley looked down, biting her lip, as she said, "Mea culpa."

"What? Mea culpa? For what?"

"Everything I've ever done. I just had a big argument with Zac, I just want to give it time. I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing to me?"

"The argument was about you. He's afraid I'm messing up my past because of you. So can you do something for me?"

Taylor ran his hands through his hair before grabbing Hayley's hands. "Only if we make a deal."

"What?" Hayley queried, looking down to their touching hands.

"Hayley, sometimes you don't make any sense whatsoever if I'm being honest. I'll do what you want if you explain to me all the crap that's going on."

Hayley ran her thoughts through her head. She just met Taylor, and didn't want to spill all her secrets to him already. But she was mad. Mad at Zac for telling her what she thought. Mad at the Parading Hippies for not being able to accept an army boy. Mad at herself for being mad. "Right now?"

"It doesn't have to be right now. But please, soon. I'm tired of the secrecy. What did you want from me?"

Hayley sighed, looking up, her face inches away from Taylor. "Will you go on a date with me?"

Taylor slightly gasped at the forwardness, but nodded his head, grinning. "Name the time and the place."

Hayley smiled too, inching slightly back. "Should we work on that now?"

For the next ten minutes, they both collaborated on ideas on where to go, both beaming the entire time, when they finally settled. They'd go camping in two days.