INITIATION

Iridescent gleams made their way to the top of Hayley's line of slight as she zoned out, only flinching back into reality as Zac's camera lens snapped, reminding her where she was.

"Focus, Williams," he said exasperated, "Todays' important."

Hayley nodded, and pinched her palm with her nails. She picked up her paintbrush again and slowly mixed up a dark/light green concoction. Letting the brush messily float up, she stenciled in the words "WARS ARE VICES" from pieces of paper Zac had cut out.

"D'you think that this initiation is gonna help us, if you're honest?" Zac queried, dabbing flamingo-colored paintbrush bristles on an azure background. "I love the idea of new people coming to help us, but us and the gang could totally do this on our own. Hell, we've pretty much got John Lennon kissing our feet."

Hayley shrugged. "The more humanitarians in the world, especially in times like these, the better."
Zac nodded wistfully.

On the other side of the cramped studio lay Tyler, Jenna, and Patrick. So far, this was all of their group. Today would change that.

They were part of the Parading Hippies, an organization started by Jenna's cousin in college a year earlier. The full party had over 500 young students across the southern US. These five controlled Tennessee.

Tomorrow, they would go to a university and high school close by and convince some to join. Then they'd meet up at the lake for fun.

"Hey Zac?" Patrick asked, "Can you explain what's happening one more time? Before the party... we're parading around a neighborhood?"

"Yep. Lots of Dixiecrats here, goddamn Franklin. Forcing their sons to join the military. Whatever his reasons, people will join this masquerade. And the government will have to stop. I'm sure the United States will fail this war anyways."

Tyler snorted. "These family men are on a one track mind to destruction, gunning down their loved ones and loving their guns."

"Fucking guns." Zac growled, putting down his brush in the mug of colored water in front of him.

Everybody in the studio immediately got quiet, focusing on their work.

About an hour later, they had all finished for the day, and got up to leave. It was a quarter past four and Hayley had no desire to go back to her house. So, she just walked with Zac to his college dorm.

In a quiet conversation, Hayley finally inquired, "Are you okay talking about Josh?"

Zac let out a quick sigh. "No," he admitted, "And I don't think I ever will be. But I'm still going to. Are you okay talking about him?"

"No. What if one of us gets drafted?"

Letting out an amused snort, Zac retorted, "Hayley, you wont get drafted. This country is too sexist for that."

"Screw off. You know what I meant," Hayley groaned, rolling her eyes.

"Sadly enough, I do. If I end up drafted like Josh was, I'll do something about it. I'm not going to end up killing myself or getting killed. I'd survive. And then I'd save dozens. Hundreds. Trillions. I'll figure out something to do if, hopefully not, that day comes."

Hayley nodded, gently wrapping her hand around his as a way to comfort him. They didn't know that he would end up being drafted three years later.

When they arrived at the complex, Zac whispered "We'll be avenging Josh, nineteen sixty-seven style. See you tomorrow, love," as they exchanged a short hug.

As Hayley started to walk to the library, she subconsciously stroked her left hand's ring finger. Much like the months before, what used to be there hadn't come back.