Chapter 3 ~ A Death in Mind

Some people believe that high school is one of the best places in the world, however, you will find that these people are actually all just adults who had it easy and didn't have to worry about the cane so long as they were well behaved. High school since then has obviously become a lot harder, smarter and painful.

You know, the suicide rates only seem to increase, which really say something about all of us honestly. You'd think that society would try to amend to broken bonds but no, they don't, they don't care.

Why mention such things? Well, because like pretty much every parent, all they see school, is easier than work. I mean, no, that's not true. The curriculum is harder, longer, challenging and now there is certainly a ton more competition with everyone sprouting children left right and centre.

But that's not the point. The point here, is that with more children, more suicidal rates and bullies and friends and just sticky messes in general take a toll. The future generation is tearing itself apart while the older generations are criticising something they created. Ironic, don't you think?

But enough is enough about politics and schools and friends and such, I was merely making a point of irony for what this next part has to play.

While everyone else believed school was to be a safe haven, my brain and I believed another story. We knew the truth and believed that high school was probably the most dangerous place you could ever get yourself into, and in addition: it's perfectly legal.

For once, I had friends. It was a relatively large group of friends but like I had always known, they were not true to what they claimed. Half of them were terrified of me and the stories that followed, the other half wanted to exploit me and use me for their own gain and I, well, I played along, pretending everything was ok because even I needed the sense of having a friend.

A dumb mistake if I may add.

So there was a sleepover. My first ever sleep over, an achievement really as it would also end up becoming my last sleepover as well. My parents seemed proud, somehow tangling up their lives with mine for only what seemed to be the good moments. Again, I brushed them aside.

Well, things started off pretty good, a bunch of 12 year olds sitting around a camp of sleeping bags playing a good old game of truth or dare. And like all good games, the saucy, juicy shit tended to spill first.

Now this time, Universe and I had become well acquainted, knew the procedure, knew each other, knew roughly so much about the rules of the Universe that the signs it gave me were almost unnecessary. Of course I didn't listen.

The emotions of fear and agony struck the sides of my brain and immediately I got the image that the hostess of the nigh would die the following morning after everyone would leave. A horrific thought to have, one that could explain why no one spoke to me again after I revealed the future. They didn't believe me, they called me stupid, they called me a bully for scaring them, the school reputation I had would never let me down either.

So I ended up leaving the party early. My mom was called by the mom of the hostess who complained that my over active imagination was terrifying the other kids. So at 1 am, my mother drove to the house I was at and picked me up, and that was the end of my first and last sleepover.

By 3 in the morning, news had gotten round of my predictions. Videos that I was not aware of had been posted, exposing the lunatic thoughts I possessed. I wasn't even aware they were recording me. My mother was mad, she threatened for the videos to be taken down. But nothing worked until it was too late. Until the footage had been leaked to the media and tied to the stories of the following morning.

At 11 am, the brink of daylight, the girl was murdered by her own father, who had returned home drunk and incapable of thinking.

No one knew what to do, or to say, especially since the videos of me had been proven true. People thought I was connected, I made it all happen, or worse I was a witch. I was brought in for questioning, how I knew or what possessed me to come to the conclusion of a death, or even if I knew how the girl's father had managed to come home drunk in the middle of the day.

I knew the answers to none, I was a kid, I was freaked out, I was unsure, I had never experienced such a big prediction coming true. Things like this just weren't meant to happen. That became the first concern for many about me. The first step for hundreds to keep a close eye on the supposed insane girl.

It was the beginning of the media keeping a tab on me. I was famous within my suburb within a day but it was not the good kind.

And within a week of the death of that girl, the isolation of people and the judgment of others, the media had blown the story out of proportion to the point where I could no longer recognise myself from the videos of me spewing the predictions. Universe itself wasn't sure about what to do but knew that one thing was quite clear, the future had changed that day. It had altered and drastically corrupted the old version of fame and wealth and luxury I had originally planned for. It wasn't impossible, but the journey there was certainly different, longer and harder.

All because I couldn't keep my stupid fucking mouth shut.