20. An Auspicious Accord

Start from the beginning

I hesitated for a while, thinking about how I should phrase the whole situation without being insensitive. Would Leslie be alright if I told her? Sure, it was Claudia and they knew each other since forever yet at the same time, this was something so personal and painful for him, and I don't think I had the right. But at the same time it felt so burdensome being the only one who knew this heavy secret.

It was then when I remembered about Clyde.

"We were in your old house and I found this note on your fridge," I said as I reached into my bag. "And got you your family photograhs."

"That's so sweet of you," she replied, receiving the plastic folder from me. "I never got the chance to go back, I miss my family so much."

"You should read the note," I told her, myself slightly excited to see her reaction.

The day had just been so depressing, I just needed some happiness for once. But then again, in a world like this, happiness is ethereal and fleeting. Behind the safe walls of the convent I suppose I forgot how sad and lonely it was out there. Between death as far as the eye can see and wounds from the painful past, sorrow seems like the norm. But we only had ourselves to mend our broken hearts and spirits. We had to keep on living. It's hard to see at times, but there's always hope. Just like how I was bitten by the rabid fox, but found myself brought to the convent.

"Lord Almighty," she muttered. "My parents are gone."

In my excitement, I had forgotten about that part. I watched as the young woman paced the room in silence, before taking a seat in her chair.

It was a while before she spoke again.

"I mean, I always felt like I knew," she said. "But it still hits you hard."

"I'm sorry for your loss," I mumbled, feeling slightly guilty. "At least your brother's still alive."

"Hopefully," she replied.

"Do you plan on going to meet him?" I asked. "We can always pack for another trip."

"Well as much as I'd like to," she replied. "I don't think I can just leave the convent like that, I have responsibilities here and all that. And I don't want to leave unless I absolutely have to."

"Then what's the map for?" I asked. "The homestead in Colorado?"

"Just in case," she answered, standing up again. "Just in case anything bad happens here and we have to leave."

She reached out for the folder, taking out the pictures I had brought from Leslie's room.

"But didn't you just say you couldn't leave here?" I asked again.

The young woman sighed as she held a photograph in her hand. It was the one of Clyde and Leslie.

"You have to do what needs to be done," she answered. "To keep your loved ones safe."

"You know," I muttered. "In case well. . . anything happens. My sister and I are part of the escape plan right?"

"Of course you both are," the young woman said without even an ounce of hesitation. "You're like family to me."