Nice faces

Dane and I walk slowly back to training, talking about useless stuff. Did he have any pets before? Yes, two goldfish. What's his favourite colour? Navy. What's his full name? Dane Robert Connolly.

"What was your family like?" I ask in a moment of silence.

"Perfect." He sighs then speeds up his pace so that I have to jog to keep up. "I can trust you, can't I?"

"That's your choice, I guess." I say, I'm good at keeping secrets (I mean I kept secrets from my friends for years) but not very good at dealing with them.

"I choose yes." He smiles.

"Wrong answer, I'm a bad luck charm. I could get you killed."

He slows down and turns to me. He chuckles and places a hand on my cheek. He gently caresses my cheekbone with his thumb, "you're no bad luck charm."

Ok, slightly uncomfortable. I smack his hand away playfully and he laughs. I give him a toothy grin "so, family then?"

"Ahhhh, they were great. I had one older brother who used to wrestle me. My mum was a part time nurse and my dad was an accountant with a slight obsession with golf. We had movie night every Friday and every Saturday I would meet up with Sienna and Phoebe and we would just sorta chat about stuff. Like we are now." He smiles at the fond memories, but stiffens when he remembers that he has company.

"Where are they now? Or are they.." I trail off.

"I don't know. Mitch said that he had ordered them to move away to some other country and forget about me. They probably don't know what I look like now. What I've become." He looks down and sighs.

"I'm sorry." I whisper "I was wrong to ask." I look down. For a moment our heads touch but he breaks the bond. He straightens up, but I don't follow his actions. I let my shoulder droop and my head hang. Dane drops to his knees in front of me so that he can see my face. He places a hand gently under my chin and lifts my head so I'm looking at him directly into his hauntingly attractive eyes. He's handsome, in a beautifully dangerous sort of way.

He seems enticed by my face and scans it closely whilst his hand is still supporting my chin. He looks me in the eye and blinks rapidly as if emerging from a daze. He steps back and releases me. "You're.. Face. Is umm nice." He stammers. Flattery at its finest.

"Charming." I laugh. Meanwhile he violently blushes.

"Sorry..." He mutters as I continue to laugh.

"You're face is nice too." I reply, wiping away tears of laughter. His eyes light up.

"Thank you." He says. "Sorry, I'm awkward."

"Its fine." I giggle.

"You're beautiful." He smiles. He hangs his head and stares at the floor. Well, that's a first. I've never been called beautiful before. I've been called strong, manly, boyish, muscly but never in my life have I been called beautiful. I'm not really appealing; I mean, I've got boring grey eyes, frizzy black hair, I'm built like a boy and my lips are thin. Not exactly pretty. Or interesting. I'm plain. Plain old Lisa.

"Thanks." I say after a long minute of silence.

"You're very welcome." He winks at me and walks ahead. More following, I guess.