the safety in the corner table of the DutchBro's

When I was twelve a couple moved into town and opened up a chain.  Gibson and Brittany Dawson. Unapologetically loving of all people

then two weeks later they said they had bought the name of the small restaurant and made it there own.  They still had the Name, and some of the best recipes but did one thing differently. they made it a safe place for teens. Most places got mad if we were loud, listing to music, doing anything really. It was down the street from the high school so most of the business was from there. they had amazing drinks that were Instagram worthy(as per many many girls outside taking selfies) among adolescents in my friend group was the first to adopt this place.

When you open the door's bright fluorescent lights light up space. the front facing wall has large booths, only one sat in the corner of the room. The owner's of the placed loved us so we got the place reserved for our friend group. we were the silent rulers of the place.  IN the left wall's corner a stage with an iPod with apple music that's glued to the speaker since Jack tried to steal it last year. 

It's a small stage, five by five feet. Off the stage is a small movable DJ setup. IT's four turntables a PC with mixes and samples. they have crates of records along the left wall.  you can bring your own samples on a USB and plug it into the computer or the mixer. 

On Saturdays, they have an open mike night. From one till nine bands play. At Five the open mike really starts. the bands take shifts doing music that they know well so that teens, parents, and kids can sing along. After about two hours the kids and parents leave and the Teens get the run of the place. 

on the back wall to the edge a mural painted by Missy, Caden, Jack, and Jordan. It depicts what's supposed to be our towns little quirks. frankly, it's what makes it amazing. 

The Right wall is an eternal reminder. every class that graduates from our high school gets a plaque with every person's name on it. behind the plaque, every person signs there name under it before it goes up. they also get a free quart of ice cream before they go to college. 

The command center is an old drinking bar that was remodeled to have coffee makers, cotton candy spinners, and other fun stuff. The kitchen has huge ovens and mixers, and multiple ice cream makers. They serve everything from sandwiches to homemade cookie- ice cream sandwiches.  Salads, coffee, self-esteem, and Knowledge.

the tables are thin with glass covering the pictures of the world, postcards, letters, Instagram posts, quotes, band art, fan art, and many other things. 

Every group has there a little area that they share. our group, the nerdy group has the corner table right next to the stage. next to the DJ setup and the guitars, amps, drumsets, and mics that sit there forever. 

I love this place. 

It's the place that I can be me, without having to apologize. 

That's refreshing. 

And sometimes we need some refreshment.