Chapter 36

"And though wights aren't as strong or as frightening as hollows, they're often just as dangerous." {Miss Alma Peregrine, pg 256 book 1}

After they had eaten Miss Peregrine asked that the children all bring their things down to the foyer. They all marched up and down the stairs carrying trunks of luggage and bags of essentials.

"I mustn't forget our calendar." The Bird said while she shoved things into a very large trunk at the bottom of the stairs, "Can you fetch it from the parlor please, Miss Avocet?" her sister ymbryne took off to retrieve it while the children headed upstairs to get the last of their things. Suddenly the front bell rang and they all froze where they stood. Miss Peregrine went to answer the door while they all squished together on the steps curious to see who was there. When the headmistress opened the door her body stiffened as well.

"Miss Peregrine! What a pleasure to finally meet you at last!" a man said cheerfully though they couldn't see who it was. "May we come in?"

The Bird stepped aside cautiously while a man with dark skin and stark white hair walked in. His hand was transformed into a long devilish looking blade that he held to Jake's throat as they entered the house. Aurora was shocked by his pure white eyes as well, she'd never seen a wight before, she wished that she never would, but looking at this man she could tell – his heart was as empty as his eyes.

"Children!" he called looking up at them, "Would you make your way down the stairs, please?"

"I give the orders in this house Mr. Barron." Miss Peregrine said, her voice cold as ice.

"Not today." Barron replied, "You should know that Jake has served his purpose. If you value his life, I suggest everyone does as they're told. Children! –"

"Shush!" Miss Peregrine commanded, "No one tells my children what to do." She said with a finger pointed at Barron like a mother scolding their child. There was a tense silence as Miss Peregrine turned to her wards.

"Children, come down here, please." She said in a sweet voice, so unlike the tone she had spoken to Barron in. Slowly, they all made their way down the steps. Aurora and Millard were in the back of the group, their hands holding tightly to each other, their fingers entwined.

"Miss Peregrine –"

"I thought I told you to be quiet." She snapped at Barron, Aurora had to admire the headmistress's courage, in such a dire situation she still kept her wits about her and refused to let anyone walk all over her.

"Children, for Jake's safety we're going to do what Mr. Barron asks. He wishes to take me with him to his rendezvous in Blackpool. So, for his protection he'd like me to assume bird form, preferably caged. And he'd like you to make your way into a lockable room, such as the parlor, as he won't release Jake if he fears an attack could be mounted upon him once he loses his leverage. Correct, Mr. Barron?" she asked turning back to him. The wight stuttered as if he couldn't decide to be shocked or impressed by Miss Peregrine's knowledge of his scheme.

"You're sacrificing yourself and all of us, for Jake?" Enoch asked.

"Mr. Barron travels with a hollow Enoch, once it arrives here we're all dead." She said with a tilted head as Barron smiled wickedly.

"Enoch, only Jake can see them. She means he's our only hope." Horace translated the Bird's hidden meaning in her words.

Mr. Barron laughed – having only heard Enoch speak – and took great pleasure in scaring the children with his knowledge of them, "Enoch O'Connor, dead-riser, born to a family of undertakers who couldn't understand why their clients kept walking away." He laughed as Enoch shrunk back not comprehending how Barron could possibly know his background. Barron's white eyes then turned to little Bronwyn, "Bronwyn Bruntley, the girl who didn't know her own strength until the night she snapped her rotten stepfather's neck. And the lovely Aurora, the healer who won the heart of the poor invisible boy who's now willing to lay down his life for her." Barron's grin turned even more evil, "You'll soon be able to prove that Mr. Nullings." Aurora felt Millard's hand grip hers tighter.

Even Miss Peregrine seemed shocked as to how he knew so much about her wards but also understood that Barron was trying to waste time so his hollow could arrive and kill them all. She nudged open the parlor door slightly wider signaling to them to get inside, the sooner Barron left with their beloved ymbryne the sooner they could prepare for the hollow attack. In single file they all made their way into the parlor, passing Miss Peregrine and exchanging their sad, mournful looks. Once in the parlor Aurora noticed Miss Avocet hiding behind the door, her finger to her lips. When they were all inside they faced the door as Miss Peregrine began to close it.

"It's been my privilege to care for you all." She said holding back tears, "Goodbye my children." She said sadly before closing the doors. It wasn't long after they heard the flutter of wings and the screech of a falcon. Many of them were trying not to cry while others looked angry. The doors then burst open again as Barron shoved Jake inside, he stumbled into the couch as Barron smiled at them again, waved then shouted, "Boo!" then laughed and locked them inside. When they were sure he'd left they sprung into action.

"It's getting dark. You won't even be able to see their shadows. We have to stay inside. It's the only place we stand a chance." Jake said taking the lead.

"He's quite right." Miss Avocet agreed, "Now, where does Miss Peregrine keep her weapon?"

"In there." Enoch said pointing to the adjoining room as he, Emma and Jake went to get something they could defend themselves with.

"Now, all right, children. Make sure all the doors are locked and the windows are latched. Everything must be sealed up tight. Now quickly. Quickly, go!" the ymbryne instructed. Bronwyn immediately kicked a couch against a set of doors while Olive, Hugh, Fiona and Millard latched the windows. Aurora, Claire, Horace and the twins began moving smaller pieces of furniture to block the doors. When Jake, Emma and Enoch came back in with garden tools they shut the doors behind them and Bronwyn shoved Horace and Hugh out of the way while she took over moving the other couch. The garden tools were passed around in silence while they prepared to fight for their lives.