Chapter 11

Thanks to Abe and his military connections Aurora and Millard were able to make their way to Wales by the end of the month. Aurora had never had more of an adventure in her life, stowing away on trains and boats, sleeping in barns and hayloft's, the whole time with Millard by her side. When it would get dark Millard would pickpocket from people they'd pass on the street, Aurora kept his clothes stuffed in a canvas bag she'd found as he walked unseen among the people. Aurora would use the money to buy food or barter for a ride to the next town along their way. When they were alone Aurora would ask Millard any questions about peculiardom she'd think of.

"I don't understand how I did what I did. Wouldn't I have noticed my peculiarity sooner?"

"Not necessarily. Emma was born being able to float but Olive didn't accidentally set her bed on fire until she was ten. I wasn't born invisible, it happened bit by bit over time. Some people take longer to manifest their abilities than others."

Aurora took a moment to process that. There was a time when Millard was visible? Aurora decided to store that information away for later, now wasn't the time, and she didn't want to say anything that might turn Millard's good mood sour.

"How much longer until we get to the children's home?"

"Just one more ferry to Cairnholm, then a walk across the island and we're at the time loop."

oOo oOo oOo

Fog coated the island like a thick blanket of grey, the green water rolled in waves beneath their boat. It was easily the coldest Aurora had ever been, so far this place sounded nothing like the wonderful home Millard said he'd lived in. When the fog finally parted enough for her to see the island the first thing that came to mind was ghostly and bleak. Under the water Aurora could see the shapes of sunken boats, she'd gotten nervous but then Millard – completely invisible- put his arm around her and started whispering in her ear.

"The ferry is too small for the Germans to worry about sinking it, they save their torpedoes for larger ships. The whole Irish Sea is full of their U-boats."

Eventually, they reached land, the harbor was located in a small half-moon bay with a quaint town nestled into its green landscape. There were fields that stretched over the hills and cliffs going far up until they were swallowed by clouds. The thrill of adventure Aurora had been feeling seemed to curl up and die as anxiety took a front row seat. What if the other peculiars didn't like her? What if the headmistress didn't? Or more practical, what if there wasn't enough space? What if she turned Aurora away simply because their was no more room available in the house? She started taking deeper breaths trying to tune out the negative voices.

The ferry docked and Aurora and Millard made their way through the town quickly, Millard seemed eager to return home after being away for so long. The town was composed of small cottages and muddy gravel streets. At one point she whispered to Millard if he'd be more comfortable with shoes but he insisted he was fine – it was a price he was used to paying when it came to his talent.

Millard did dress when they were far from the wandering eyes of the town. He took her hand and led her far into the swamp.

"I've been meaning to ask you, when we met you said your home was bombed in 1940."

"Yes?"

"Then how far back does this time loop go exactly?"

"Only to the day of the bombing, September 3, 1940. To everyone living in the loop that day just carries on and on, to the rest of the world we didn't survive."

"Why would they think that?"

"Because of this." He said as they walked through the trees and into a clearing. Aurora put her hand to her mouth as she gasped in shock. What used to be a large three-story home had been reduced to a blackened skeleton-like structure. The grass and flowers that once grew around it were now covered with ash and debris. The windows were shattered and bricks littered the ground.

"It's hard seeing it like this." Millard muttered before taking a deep breath and leading her away. "Come on, we're close now."

They came to a rocky hillside, Aurora wouldn't have been able to tell one boulder from the next but Millard walked the path like he knew it by heart. One stone had a large crack in it and Millard stopped just outside it.

"Please don't take this the wrong way but, would you mind if we kept this just between us, for now?" he asked raising their linked hands. Aurora had to pause, she didn't even know what this was. Yes they had spent a great deal of time together and they kissed on multiple occasions but they never really had stopped and decided what it was. Did he consider her his girlfriend? Did he want to be her boyfriend?

"What do we even call this?" Aurora asked squeezing his hand. Millard shrugged.

"I'd very much like to be your boyfriend, I just don't think it'd be wise to let the others know just yet."

"Why?"

"You don't understand just how badly they want new friends. For days all they'll do is ask you questions, about every aspect of your life, details that you've never even given a second thought, I'd wager. Showing up as a couple, it's just. . . I'm afraid they'll overwhelm you."

Aurora thought about it a moment, she never did like being the center of attention and as the 'new kid' she'd be in the spotlight for a while. Millard had a point, he already knew her so well, but she knew him well also; she could practically hear the fighting between his head and his heart in his voice. His head telling him it was the logical thing to do, while his heart told him he was walking a fine line- but she did understand where he was coming from. He knew that being bombarded with questions would overwhelm her, that was part of the anxiety she felt on the ferry. And it wasn't like she wasn't used to keeping her relationship with Millard a secret. Actually, she found she preferred it that way, it made it seem more private, more intimate, keeping everything between just the two of them. Right now the only other person who knew was Abe Portman, surely she could keep it a secret for a bit longer? At least until she settled into her new life as a peculiar ward of Miss Alma Peregrine. Millard seemed to be getting nervous since she'd been silent for so long so she decided to put his mind at ease.

"Millard, honestly? I've quite enjoyed sneaking around with you."

"You're not offended?" he asked sounding relieved.

"No." she said sweetly giving him a light peck on the cheek and heard him groan.

"What?"

"I just realized, since we're not telling the others, I won't have as many opprotunities to do this." His hand cupped her cheek and he brought his lips to hers, taking her breath away again. One of her arms wrapped around his neck, the other hand grabbed the collar of his shirt. They kissed until they ran out of breath and were forced to pull apart, Millard improvised and started kissing down her neck.

"Millard, stop." She giggled, "You'll leave marks." She gently pushed him back and he rested his forehead on hers.

"Alright, are you ready?" he asked taking her hand again. She nodded and together they entered the loop.