Chapter 14

Aurora's first six months at Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children went by like a dream. She became very close to all of the children, except Enoch, he kept to himself most of the time. She and Millard had kept their relationship secret, they had a suspicion that Miss Peregrine knew, Millard claimed that no one could keep anything from her. If the headmistress did know something she didn't say anything, which Aurora was thankful for, she didn't want to be on the wrong end of Miss Peregrine's fierce stare.

The only negative part of her new life was Victor, Aurora tried her best to smile and be polite when around him but his flirting never ceased, if anything every time she turned him down he only became more determined and persistant. It angered Millard but he held his tongue knowing that opening his mouth he might end up saying something that would raise suspicion.

The past six months the pair would sneak around, pull each other into dark closets and empty rooms. That afternoon they were hidden in one of the flower beds kissing while the others went out to the beach. They were fully focused on each other and didn't hear someone walking through the yard.

"Oh my bird!" a voice yelled and they both shouted as they shot apart. It was Emma, she hadn't gone to the beach with the others, she'd gone through the loop to send Abe another letter. Judging by the look on her face she couldn't decide between her mouth dropping open in shock or spreading her lips in a wide smile.

"Oh my bird." She said again, "You and Millard? Oh, I love it! How long have you been together? Does anyone else know? –"

"Emma can I talk to you?" Aurora said as she and Millard stood up out of the flowerbed and brushed themselves off. She grabbed Emma's hand and dragged her inside and up to their room.

She closed the door behind them then moved to look out their bedroom window and saw that the others were just getting back. She closed the drapes and turned to Emma who sat on the edge of her bed with a smile on her face.

"You and Millard?" she asked still grinning.

Aurora took a deep sigh, "Yes."

Emma squealed giddily but Aurora interrupted whatever she was about to say, "You can't tell anyone."

"Why not? Are you ashamed to be with the invisible boy?"

"No! Keeping it a secret was his idea and based off your reaction, his idea was a pretty good one!"

Emma kept silent but the smile on her lips and the twinkle in her eye made Aurora ask, "What?"

Emma shrugged, "It's just so sweet! You two are perfect for each other. Oh, Aurora you have to tell me everything!"

So Aurora sat on her bed, took a deep sigh and told Emma everything – after she made her swear to not breath a word.

VICTOR P.O.V.

After coming back from the beach Victor made his way upstairs to clean up. He was stopped by high-pitched giggling coming from Emma and Aurora's room. Quickly looking around to make sure there was no one to scold him he approached the room and laid his ear to the door.

"Oh, you have it so bad!" came Emma's voice, "You really like him a lot don't you?"

"How can I not?" Aurora replied, "It's so hard to be away from him sometimes."

"Well then why don't you say something?"

"I don't know. There's just something about keeping a secret that's so. . . thrilling. It adds an excitement that otherwise wouldn't be there. Does that make any sense?"