13 | A White Love Affair [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

She had experienced love, loss, birth, and death. She had loved her mother immensely who she had lost unfortunately. She had been there for the miracle birth of her sister that was near of being a failed pregnancy once more. And she had watched death of not just one, but two people in front of her eyes. 

Her eyes shut as she heard the gunshots in her head. Still shaken by the grotesque memory of her parents death, silent tears fell from the corners of her eyes and painted a solemn path down her sharp cheeks. 

In through the nose. Out through the mouth. Repeat. 

She inhaled and exhaled to keep the memories from resurfacing. Over the years she had mastered the PTSD, and it had taken all her will to not let those blood-curling screams, shouts, and cries for help get to her where she was the most vulnerable- 

Her heart. 

When she heard Faryal's sleepy whimpering coming from their bedroom, Firdaus's eyes shot open and she hastily wiped her tears away. It was as if she had been shaken awake from a bad nightmare. The only difference was that this did not end just by a shake or an opening of the eyes. This nightmare was a permanent stain that cruelly watched and laughed as one suffered. 

Removing the clip that held the amalgamation of her hair, Firdaus dropped her feet from the windowsill to the floor. She gathered the silky tendrils in her palms while holding the clip between her lips and put it up into a messy bun. 

"Faryal, wake up. It's half past six," she made her way into the bedroom and temporarily left behind the previous memories that had leered its way into her mind. 

Those memories were made up of the most chronic disease someone could bear. Only time would tell if she would be able to leave them behind once and for all, or would they create nothing but mad chaos? 

~|✵|~

"Faryal, did the driver put all the party favors in the car? And what about the extra dates, and dry fruit? We need to make sure everyone gets a favor with the sweets so that they can have something when the Nikkah is over and before lunch is served," Tabinda hurriedly asked as Dariyah, Sulva, and her headed towards the car with large platters of rose petals. 

"Yes, they should be in the car!" Faryal responded from behind. 

The whole house looked like a domino puzzle in all shades of white. Everyone had dressed in their best white/ivory attire, setting the theme for the Nikkah. Dozens of people were bustling around the large expanse of the house to finish the last minute preparations before they headed for the ceremony. 

The Rukhsati was scheduled after lunch was over, and it was Faryal's responsibility to make sure that all of Firdaus's needs and belongings were packed and ready to go to the Malik's house. She had a thousand and one different things on her mind, and it did not help that everyone was asking her for direction when the elders were nowhere to be found. 

"Basma ki bachchi! Yaar, kasam se agar tujh se ek bhi kaam hota na toh main apna naam badal dey ti (Seriously, if you could just do one thing properly, then I would change my name)!" She was furious and Basma's smug smile did not help her temper either. 

Faryal itched her temple with the length of her freshly manicured nails and took a deep breath before she exhaled. She closed her eyes and counted backwards from 10 to zero. I am not going to let this girl spoil my mood! Nope, not today! 

When she slowly opened her eyes, Basma was watching her as if she had grown three heads. "Aab khare khare mera moun kya dekh rahi hai (Now, why are you standing there and watching me like that)? Dafa ho ja yahan se (Get lost)!"