19. Temptations

Luke almost passed out when Liz brought out the electric guitar. He was already in a fantastic mood (at least he was in a fantastic mood ever since we came back downstairs after I kissed him), and the guitar was just the icing on the cake. Speaking of cake, it was delicious. Ashton of course had to get a picture of the cake, so I held it up and we took a selfie with Luke in the picture as well.

Everyone started to leave around 10 at night. Well, everyone with the exception of Ashton, Calum, and Michael. Liz allowed them to sleep over. She failed to warn me, however, that it wouldn’t be a sleep over, but more of a ‘yell and be obnoxious all night’ party. Which is why I was fairly grumpy the next day. The boys avoided me the entire day, and for that I was thankful. I didn’t really leave my room anyway.

But, all-in-all, the entire weekend went great. Which is why, now that it was Monday, I decided I should probably talk to Kendra again and say sorry for being a dick to her the other day.

“I’m sorry I snapped at you the other day.” I apologized, looking at Kendra through the screen on my laptop. She gave me a sly smile.

“You kissed him again, didn’t you?” She said slowly. I felt myself blush, but nodded anyways. “You see, I was right. You do like him.” She was practically rolling in smugness right now. I rolled my eyes.

“Alright, I like him. So what? It’s not like I can date him or anything.” That cut her gloating party short. Kendra frowned and looked at me.

“And why the hell not?” She exclaimed.

“I live in the same house as him! That’s totally not okay if we’re dating. Too many temptations and… stuff.” I explained. Kendra stayed silent for a moment before she burst into laughter. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes as I waited for her to finish laughing. “And why are you laughing at me? It’s a legitimate fear!” I protested.

“Whose legitimate fears are we talking about?” I heard Wyatt’s voice in the background moments before his face appeared next to Kendra’s on the screen. Kendra let out another giggle before speaking.

“Little miss innocent here, who, may I remind you, had gone sixteen and a half years without so much as holding hands with a boy, is afraid of dating Luke because of the temptations she may have living in the same house as him.” She said, letting out yet another giggle. Wyatt’s eyebrows shot up as he turned from Kendra to look at me through the screen.

“Temptations? Daeyna Larksen, what has gotten into you? You better not do anything else but kiss this boy of yours.” He scolded. I opened my mouth to reply, but the door to my bedroom flung open, revealing a grinning Calum.

“I knew it! I fucking knew it! You and Luke are totally a thing!” He exclaimed before turning and running down the stairs, yelling out Luke’s name. I said a very hasty goodbye to my friends and leaped up to chase after him.

“Calum! No, Calum!” I screeched, my socks sliding on the wooden floor as I rounded the corner and rushed down into the basement. Calum was in the process of tackling Luke, yelling ‘I knew it’ over and over again. Michael was laughing uncontrollably, and Ashton was watching, his arms crossed and a smirk on his face. When the two finally separated, Luke’s cheeks were beet red, probably matching mine. I buried my face in my hands, letting out a groan. “I hate you all.” I said, my voice muffled because of my hands.

“Better ‘fess up now, Luke. There’s no denying it when I heard her talking to her friends about you guys kissing.” Calum giggled, receiving a glower from his blond-haired friend. If at all possible, my cheeks turned a darker shade of red. If he’d heard me talking about kissing Luke, that meant he’d been standing there for a while. Which meant he heard—

“Oh, God. You were standing there when—“ I started to speak, but Calum cut me off with a gleeful laugh.

“Absolutely!” He chirped. “I can’t live in the same house as him because there’s too many temptations.” He said in a high pitched voice, flicking his imaginary long hair over his shoulder. My eyes widened, and I sent a glance over towards Luke. He looked surprised, but at the same time, fairly happy.

“I can’t believe you just—Oh my God I’m going to go die of embarrassment now.” I said, waving a hand dismissively as I turned and headed towards the stairs.

“Oh, no you don’t.” Ashton said. I felt a pair of hands grab me by the shoulders and turn me back around, directing me to the couch. I plopped down on it with a huff, crossing my arms. The couch dipped to my left, and I looked over to see that Calum had pushed Luke down next to me. Now he, Michael, and Ashton were standing in front of us, all with expectant looks on their faces.

“So…” Calum prompted, “How long have you been dating behind our backs?”

“We’re not dating!”

Luke and I began protesting at the same time, saying the exact same words. Calum lifted an eyebrow at us as if that answered everything. Luke sighed in defeat.

“I hate this band.” He grumbled, flopping back against the couch. I glanced over at him before giving Ashton a pleading look. He shook his head, shielding his eyes.

“Oh no, you can’t use your sad face against me, Dae. Not today you won’t.” He chuckled. I huffed indignantly.

“What do you want us to say, guys? We’re not dating.” I complained.

“Yeah, we just kissed. Not much more to it than that. Just a kiss.” He agreed. I frowned and turned to look at him. Just a kiss? Just? Oh. My body language must have given away how much that hurt, because Michael sent a kick to Luke’s foot.

“Ouch, Michael! What—“ Luke stopped mid-sentence when his gaze landed on me. Realization spread over his face as he took in my expression. “Oh, no, no. That’s not what I meant, Daeyna.” He said quickly. I shrugged, not meeting his gaze.

“It’s alright, I get it.” I dismissed, pushing myself off the couch. I hadn’t made it more than three steps away from the couch when I felt myself forcefully turned around. Luke pressed his palms to my cheeks, leaning down and pressing his lips against mine. Despite still feeling hurt by his previous words, I felt a little shiver go down my spine at the contact. I immediately pulled away from him when the other three boys began cheering and cat-calling the two of us.

“Just date already!” Michael said. Luke quirked an eyebrow at me.

“So, what do you say, then?” He asked. I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth as I tried to decide whether or not this would be a good thing. Luke took a step back, placing one hand on his hip and flipping his hair. “Don’t tell me I’m too tempting. I already know that.” He said breathily, as if it was sexy. I let out a bark of laughter.

“You’re such a dork.” Luke grinned.

“I’m going to pretend that was a yes.”

But he didn’t have to pretend. It was a yes.