3. I Prefer The Drums

“Happy Friday!” I laughed at Kendra and Wyatt as they popped up on my screen. The two were wearing crazy glasses and Kendra had streamers in her hands.

“You do know it’s like half-way through Saturday here, right?” I questioned. Kendra shrugged.

“Your Australian time doesn’t count. It’s Friday.” She quipped. I laughed again. “So, what’s it like there in sunny Australia? Because here it’s cold and rainy.” She added, flipping the computer around so I got a glimpse of the thunderstorm going on outside. I grinned. If nothing else about my new home was good, at least I had the weather on my side. I grabbed my laptop and stood up.

“Hold on, let me show you.” I said, exiting my room. My mom was on the couch when I passed the living room. “Mom, say hi to Wyatt and Kendra. She looked at the computer screen and gave a half-hearted wave.

“Hi guys.” She sighed. I turned the screen back to face me and rolled my eyes, gaining a chuckle from my two friends.

“And ta-da!” I exclaimed, stepping out on to our sunny porch. Kendra squealed with delight.

“Oh! Let me see the neighborhood and your house!” She demanded. I shook my head with amusement and walked down the driveway before turning the laptop in my hands and doing a slow 360 degree turn. Instead of heading back inside, I just moved over to the lawn and sat down in the grass.

“It’s a really cute house.” I said before letting a slight frown pull at my features. “But I miss being able to walk to your house when they go at it.” The smiles dropped off the faces of my friends, and suddenly I felt guilty for ruining the good mood. “Sorry. I’m such a Debbie Downer these days.” Wyatt scoffed.

“No you’re not. You’ve just been dealt a bad hand. And speaking of which, how has school been going?” He asked. I shrugged and glanced at Kendra.

“Has he told you about my ‘problem’ yet?” I asked. She nodded, a grimace on her face. I gave a curt nod. “He’s still at it, though I don’t know why. Of course, because he’s so freaking influential, nobody wants to be seen talking to me. Luckily I can usually go through class without him all up in my face, but between classes is another story.” I explained. “Anyways, I’ve just taken to ignoring his comments. They’re not based on anything anyways. Usually it’s something about being American or my accent. Nothing I can’t handle.” Even as I was speaking the words, I knew they were a lie. Yes, I could deal with Luke’s incessant taunting now, but what about two—even three—months down the road? Would I still be able to handle it?

If my friends were thinking the same thing, they didn’t say anything about it. I was somewhat glad about that. I really didn’t want to have that deep of a conversation right now. So, I changed the subject.

“So, you have, what? Like two or three weeks until the end of the year? Then you’re seniors!” I said, plastering a smile back onto my face. Kendra lit up.

“I know, Dae! It’s almost summer! I think Wyatt and I might plan something fun to do. Maybe go to London or something.” My eyes widened at her words. London would be an awesome trip to go on. Especially for Kendra—the girl who had always wanted to visit a foreign country. I was about to ask her more questions about her possible trip when a yell from inside the house caught my attention.

“Daeyna? Daeyna, come here!” My father shouted. I groaned.

“My dad’s calling me, guys.” I sighed. Wyatt frowned at me, his shoulders slumping slightly. “I’ll text, call, or Skype you guys every possible moment I can, so long as neither party is in school!” Kendra shrugged.

“Or call us during school. That’s fine, too.” She said, grinning. I laughed.

“I have to go. Love you lots!” I said, blowing a kiss at the screen. Both Kendra and Wyatt returned the kiss, and I closed my laptop.