14. Kylee's Song

Dear Diary,
I don't know. Not much to really talk about I guess. Well, my mum did yell at me because I failed the last two quizzes in English earlier today. That's why I—ah, shit. Ignore that smear. One of my cuts opened up. Be back in a minute.

Alright. Back. Clearly I haven't stopped my nasty habit yet. Though, I probably should. I think my friends are starting to catch on to the fact that I'm not acting the same anymore. It's just so addicting, you know? Fuck. Ignore that smear as well. I need to stop writing for now and fix my arm. Can't have it doing this tomorrow at school. Bye.

Kylee

--

Dear Diary,
I think one of the boys saw my cuts today. It was during lunch. He was talking, then just stopped while looking at my arm. I moved it to under the table before anyone else really noticed. He didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. I'm kind of upset by that. I thought maybe he would care enough to say something. If not to me, to my boyfriend. I mean, I really don't want anyone to know, but it feels like he doesn't care.

Maybe he didn't really see them. I did move pretty fast. Maybe he just zoned out or something. Who am I kidding though? He saw. And he didn't care.

Kylee

--

I frowned at the journal in my lap. This girl was slowly going down a path I had no desire to read about. But I couldn't bring myself to look away from the worn, distressed pages. I flipped the page and continued reading, despite not wanting to. I should bring the journal to school and tell them that a former student of theirs was doing these horrible things to herself. Maybe they could find out where she moved to and alert her parents. Before I could think about Kylee and her journal much longer, I heard a loud commotion downstairs.

"I don't care if you don't think she wants to see you! I wanna hang out with her." Ashton's voice carried up the stairs, followed by a protest from Luke, a loud thump, and a peal of laughter from the other boys. As much as I loved hanging out with Ashton, Luke was right. I really didn't want to face him right now—especially after basically having told him to fuck off earlier. I shoved Kylee's journal between the mattresses on the bed and carefully put my guitar away before quickly running towards the desk, where my history book was sitting open. I plopped down in the chair and had only just laid my head down to pretend I was asleep when I heard the door open.

"Dae—oh, shit, guys be quiet." Ashton's loud shout immediately turned into a whisper when he saw me 'sleeping' at my desk. I heard the four of them sneak into my room soon followed by the creaking of the bed behind me as someone sat on it.

"Michael, get your dirty ass off her bed." Luke whisper-shouted. I heard a muffled snort of laughter from either Calum or Ashton before the bed creaked again, signaling that Michael had heeded Luke's order.

"Aw she's a lot cuter when she's asleep." That was Calum's voice. "Definitely cuter without the scowl and vaguely pissed expression she usually has." I almost reacted to his statement. Excuse me for not liking being around certain people.

"Shut up. She always looks nice. Now come on and get out before you lot wake her up." I couldn't tell if the whisper came from Ashton or Luke, but I decided to pretend it was Ashton. I didn't like entertaining the thought that Luke found me cute. Especially since he's a dick. The boys shuffled out of my room, closing the door behind them with a click. I let out a sigh of relief and sat up, only to let out a faint yelp when I saw that they hadn't all left. Ashton was standing in front of my door with his arms crossed, staring at me.

"What did you say to Luke earlier?" He didn't waste any time with formalities. I found myself mirroring his body language—crossing my arms over my chest as I looked up at him.