9. Rescued

“C’mon, Daeyna! Live a little!” Ashton practically yelled in my ear. I winced slightly at the volume of his voice, but shook my head, keeping firm to what I had just told him. It was time to go home. We had been at the club for around three hours, and I’d lost count of how many drinks Ashton had consumed. Peter was nowhere to be seen—he’d disappeared within a half hour of arriving to the place. I had yet to be pestered by another guy, but I figured part of the reason was the sandy-haired boy in front of me. He’d stuck to my side (or, rather, I to him) the entire night, and I could see how someone such as him could be a bit intimidating.

“Keys, Ashton.” I ordered, holding out my hand. He giggled and turned around, bumping into a few people in the process.

“They’re in my pocket.” He exclaimed. I rolled my eyes before reaching in and pulling them out. I’d pulled things out of Wyatt’s pockets enough times to not be phased by the prospect of touching a guy’s ass. Though, it didn’t stop me from blushing a little when Ashton turned around and spoke again. “Too bad there aren’t pockets on the front like that.” He giggled.

“Oh, God. Ashton, it’s definitely time to leave. I really hope you don’t remember that tomorrow.” I groaned, grabbing his arm and helping him through the crowd of people. Multiple times, I was forced to stop and allow Ashton to dance a bit. He was stronger than me, and when he didn’t want to move, he didn’t. Finally, however, we finally made it outside and to his car.

--------

“Ashton, you have to get up.” I whisper-yelled. I could hear my dad trudging around upstairs, and I knew for a fact that Ashton’s car was parked on the road next to our driveway. He’d see it on his way out and wonder why it was there. I felt bad waking Ashton up, knowing he was sure to have a massive hangover, but I really didn’t need to give my father another reason to get mad at me. Finding out I went out on a school night, brought a boy home (even though we didn’t do anything), and then proceeded to play hooky the following day would surely make him pissed. Ashton groaned and rolled over, but didn’t get up.

I froze when I heard the sound of my dad’s keys being picked up. Moments later, a door slammed. I let out a curse and snatched Ashton’s keys from my desk before racing across the room and opening my window. I was still in my pajamas as I dashed across the lawn. If I wasn’t so worried about being caught by my father, I would have been extremely proud of the way I leaped up and slid across the hood of Ashton’s car. I scrambled into the front seat, turned the key in the ignition, and pulled away from the side of the road. A few houses down, I turned the car into a driveway and put it in park. Through the rear windows, I could see my dad backing onto the road and pulling away. I let out a loud sigh of relief before pulling the car back around, this time parking in my own driveway.

I was closing the door to Ashton’s car when I looked up and saw a group of four staring at me from the other side of the street. All four of them had backpacks on, and I realized that they were on their way to the bus stop for school. I glanced down at the pajama shorts I was wearing. They were light blue and had monkeys printed all over them. I felt a blush heat up my cheeks, but when I looked up, I noticed that only one of the group was still standing there—Luke. The others had moved on, but Luke was still frowning in my direction. I realized after a moment that he wasn’t looking at me, but at the car I was standing next to. He knew it was Ashton’s car, I was sure of it. I let out an awkward cough and walked around the car, jogging through the grass and around to the side of my house where my window was. I turned around to send one last look at Luke, but he’d turned and was walking away.

--------

I sighed and looked around my room once more. Ashton had left about two hours ago after he finally rolled out of my bed and took some aspirin. I made him call my school and pretend to be my dad even though it was probably already third hour or so. The secretary must not have been paying much attention, because she believed him. I took another look around my room before deciding it was time for some food.