Damgage

my best friend is a GD, we've known each other since we were kids.

        she came to the bureau from the fringe when she was five because her mother came to get a job. her father had been murdered when she was four, and her and her mother lived in a small tarp tent for about a year. they didn't have any money and had to steal everything they needed to survive.

        almost a year ago, some GPs beat her up and she been practically crippled ever since. the people who beat her up barely got in any trouble because they were genetically pure. it's sick.

        i see a figure limping down the hall, Jenna. she's getting worse. after they attacked her, she had to get multiple surgeries, but for some reason, she's worsening instead of improving. she holds her stomach, and her face contorts with pain. she drops to he knees.

        i run as fast as i possibly can and drop down beside her. "Jenna! are you okay?" her eyes don't open and quickly nods. she's small, but i can't carry her all the way to the infirmary. "i'll be right back, okay? i'm gonna go get help."

        i sprint down the hall and into my classroom. "Matthew! Jenna..." i trail off as i run out of breath, but he's already heading towards the door. my teacher stands up and crosses her arms, "what's the meaning of this? where have you been all day? you don't appear ill." she says this with an accusatory tone. "that's because i'm not. it's none of your business where i've been. and we're leaving, now." i snap.

        i grab Matthew's wrist and pull him out the door. my teacher steps into the hall and shouts, "your father will be receiving a call, young lady. i dont think he will approve of your actions." I just keep running.

. . . . . . . . . . .

        the scent of the hospital fills my lungs and i crinkle my nose. Matthew and i sit alone in the waiting room. his knee bounces up and down in anticipation.

        he and Jenna had been seeing each other for almost four years, and they spent almost every second together.

        "do you think she's going to be okay?" he says with tears bulging in his eyes. "i- i hope so." i say. i'm not sure she will be, and giving him false hope would be cruel. i saw the way she looked when she crumpled to the floor.

        Matthew stood up and started pacing.

        he did this for about twenty minutes until the waiting room door opened and a doctor walked in. Matthew stopped pacing and sat back down beside me. we both sat on the edge of our seats.

        the doctor sat across from us and looked at us both. "Jenna was not recovering as expected after her surgery last year. there was much damage to her internal organs- which is difficult to cure. she also had internal bleeding- which is also very hard to cure. our resources need to be saved for more serious cases," he starts, until Matthew cuts him off, "what do you mean 'more serious cases'? she's DYING. what do you not understand about that?" the doctor gives an apologetic look, "David has requested that we discontinue her treatment, it takes many resources and her genes are not worth saving."

        according to my father, a GD's brain tells them to pick the worst out of their options. my options here were: a) nod my head and agree with the doctor. b) cry and scream. c) leap across the space between the doctor and myself and kill him.

        i leaped toward him and wrapped my hands around his neck. i hit him with such impact the chair knocked over and i was on top of him. choking him. he was coughing and struggling to breath when a security guard came out of no where and pulled me off of him. i fought to get back on top of him- finish him.

        then i just stood still.

        this wasn't the doctor's fault.

        she was gone and it's because of my father.