Chapter Five

As soon as Jailbreak spoke, I looked over at Gene to see him frown, and roll his shoulders.

"Uh..." I said nervously. "Hi?"

"Listen, I'm sure you've figured out how you showed up on the wanted list." She said. It was almost like I could hear her smirking over the receiver. "I know what you're doing."

"What's that?" I said, shifting in my seat.

"You're planning to camp it out in Gene's apartment until they stop searching." She said and laughed. "I've already given the information to the police."

I slapped my hand over my mouth to keep the gasp quiet. "SHE DOESN'T KNOW." I mouthed to Gene. He smirked and turned back to the road.

"Catch you later, Hi-5." Jailbreak said.

"Her voice is so smooth..." I said, setting Gene's phone down.

"We're off the hook..." Gene sighed. "For now. Chances are, they'll get to our house in the morning."

"How are we going to get out?" I asked.

"There's a secret door in one of the public transportation stations." Gene stated. The fact that all I could do at this point was trust Gene still seems to remain.

Gene pulled to the side of the road next to the station entry and parked.

"Are you sure there's no one here?" I asked, turning to look out the window.

"Positive." Gene said, unbuckling from his seat. "No one here wakes up until Alex does. Which is when his alarm goes off." Gene pointed to the giant ticking numbers above us.

"Oh." I said, opening the car door and stepping out. "That makes sense."

Gene grabbed his things and I got mine, closing the back doors of his car. "Goodbye, old pal."

We dashed into the train station and Gene led me down the stairs to where it was. He let go of the handle on his suitcase and flexed his fingers, pressing his palm against a brick on the wall. It lit up with blue trim, and the brick fell in. It was just barely big enough for us to fit through, let alone our luggage. Gene grabbed the brick and clicked it back into place in the wall.

I took a deep breath and sighed of relief. "What about the cameras?"

"Deactivated." Gene said, digging a flashlight out of his bag. "I deactivated a bunch of them a while ago."

"Okay." I said, standing up. "Where are we?"

"A while back, when Jailbreak and I were still together, she showed me Dropbox and Drive." Gene said, clicking it on. "Drive is faster than Dropbox and in my opinion, more efficient. All we have to do is get into Drive's upload. Then we can hop onto another phone."

We walked through the dark, a flashlight illuminating the narrow path. Dust drifted through the air around us and an eerie feeling crept over me. When Gene walked through a forcefield, I almost had a heart attack, honestly.

"C'mon." Gene said across the barrier, sticking his hand through it and out towards me. "Take my hand."

Butterflies.

Butterflies was all I could describe how I felt at this moment. Then, being the person I am, I ruined the moment. '

"I can't really do that, because I am my hand." I said and moved my thumb to Gene's hand.

He led me over the wall and walked me into the middle of this big glass floor. I squinted, my eyes hurting to the sudden change of brightness. When I could finally open my eyes, I blinked to make sure what I was seeing was real.

"It's so..." I said, looking around.

"Beautiful?" Gene said, blushing and looking into my eyes.

"Yeah." I mumbled and shyly looked away. Gene really was smooth with his words.

Gene produced a map from his bag and rolled it out for the two of us to see. "We should be here." Gene said, pointing to the edge of the messaging app. "Dropbox is about a block away."

"Define 'block'." I said and looked at the road.

"We'll have to pass a few apps." Gene said and pointed me in the direction we were supposed to walk in.

"Let's get started before they realize we left." I said and heaved my backpack on my fingers. Gene nodded and took off down the road.

"Hey!" I laughed. "Wait for me!"

At this point, we had passed about five apps and we were soon coming to a turn.

"Are we there yet?" I asked, adjusting my backpack's position.

"You asked that five minutes ago." Gene said, almost bouncing with every step.

"Just kidding." I smiled. "I'm just testing your patience."

"Hey," Gene said and stopped walking. "Do you want to take a quick break and get some lunch?"

My stomach growled. "Probably."

We made a little detour and walked into the photos app. Gene scrolled through the pictures. "In the mood for Chinese?"

I walked into the picture and sat down at a table. Gene came back with a tray full of food and sat down across from me.

"So..." I started. "Why are you so desperate to leave the phone?"

Gene was quiet for awhile before he spoke, "It's kind of a long story."

"We have lots of time." I said eagerly, pushing for him to tell me the story.

"I just... I don't feel like I fit in." Gene said and looked down to his feet.

"Gene..." I said, my voice softening. "What's the point of being number one when there are no other numbers?"