Chapter 19: Game On

"How ya'll feeling?!" Kelly yelled to the crowd. "How amazing was Beca?" She yelled as the crowd deafened. "This is a tribute to our girl, Rihanna – so hopefully we don't screw it up!" Kelly chuckled pointing to Rihanna in the front row, who was the artist being paid tribute to tonight.

Beca started the chords to the song and the crowd went crazy at recognizing Rihanna's 'Stay'. Beca had mashed it with a song that always reminded her of Chloe and how the tabloids had perceived her life. She began singing the first verse.

You saw me on the television, saw me on the television
But that's just the half of it, yeah you saw the half of it
This is the life I live, and that's just the half of it.

Beca grinned at hearing Kelly flawlessly join her.

Round and around and around and around we go
Oh now, tell me now, tell me now, tell me now you know.

Beca hadn't been able to show off this side of her vocals. Now that she was into it, and she knew the crowd was feeling it, she was more excited than she was nervous.

Oh you know me I'm the life of the party
Beautiful people surround me
Everybody falling in love
Oh you know me, everybody knows that I'm crazy
Sticks and stones they never break me
And I'm the type that don't give a fuck

"Holy shit… I forgot how amazing her voice is," Chloe said not realizing Aubrey had heard her.

"This is one of the mixes she made you in 'Chloe's sad box of misery', I would know. She played it for about a month," Aubrey said.

"She kept telling me that what I saw in the tabloids wasn't real…" Chloe added, deep in thought at Beca's song choice. A song with Beca was never just a song.

"Exactly, because it's not, Chloe. You see half of Beca's life, but the reality is she wants you to stay. She's scared that if she gets the chance you'll leave, which is why she left before you got the opportunity," Jesse said leaving the thought to gnaw in Chloe's brain.

It wasn't like she hadn't thought of it, she just didn't know if her heart was ready.

But… this was a big step for Beca. This was huge. She swallowed the lump in her throat and buried the thought for now; it was too complicated to think about. So, for now, Chloe ignored it.

"Her voice…." Chloe whispered back watching Beca almost speechless. She'd forgotten the impact and power the tiny brunette's voice had and Beca's ability to command a room was unnerving.

Jesse and Aubrey sighed at the deflection and turned back to watch Beca.

Not really sure how to feel about it.
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you.
It takes me all the way.
I want you to stay

Beca continued to flawlessly play the piano as Kelly edged closer waiting for the harmonies to kick in.

It was just Beca. And Kelly. And the piano. And the effect it had was pretty earth-shattering.

Yeah you saw the half of it

And this is the life I live