Seventy-Three & Seventy-Four

Start from the beginning

“You didn’t need to rush it,” I said, leaning back, “It’s the fucking Prime Minister!”

“I know,” she grinned, “I’m ready. I let Jeremy help.”

“Wow!! Who are you tonight?”

“No idea,” Jess said, putting her hand on my cheek and kissing me hard on the lips. “Love you,” she whispered as she pulled away.

“Love you too,” I sighed, just staring at her in awe. This girl actually blew my mind sometimes with her antics.

“So, have you got food in or do we need to go through the late night menus? I haven’t had dinner.”

“You’re in luck,” I said, my heart starting to race again as I realized that maybe this Valentine’s Day was ruined after all. “I’ve got everything we need. How about you go change out of your work clothes and I’ll get things heated up?”

“Sure,” Jess said, kissing me again and heading right up the stairs.

I pretty much darted to the kitchen, filling up a big pot with water and putting it on the stove for the pasta. Rushing around the kitchen I started pulling things out. The French bread, the pesto… Everything.

“Oh wow,” I heard Jess exclaim from the dinning room.

I couldn’t help but let a smile plaster across my face as I wandered out of the kitchen to the dinning area, Jess stood there in shock. I walked up behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist and kissing her neck. “Happy Valentine’s Day,” I breathed against her skin.

“Ast… This is amazing,” she said, twisting around in my grip and wrapping her arms around my neck for another tight hug, “I feel so bad that I had to cancel now!”

“Don’t!” I said, pushing her back so I could look into her eyes, “You’re here now, that’s what matters most.”

“Still…” she said. I could just sense the tears forming in her eyes.

“No tears,” I warned her, leading her around the table and sitting her down. “Be right back!”

I grabbed the bottle of champagne I’d bought out of the fridge, popping it and adding some strawberries to our glasses. After taking them out to the dinning room, I ran back to the kitchen to put the finishing touches on the food.

“Ast! Where did you get this?” Jess asked as she stared at what I put before her.

“I… um… I made it,” I said.

“All of it?” Jess asked, “You didn’t buy the pre-made pesto?”

“No,” I grinned, “I got one of those mixer things you have and everything.”

“Babe, I love you,” Jess grinned, eating her food. I felt my heart burst with excitement as she sat across from me in my tracksuit, enjoying the meal I’d slaved over the entire day. God I loved her.

When we were finished I cleared our plates and topped up our glasses, serving up the big piece of chocolate cake I’d bought at the bakery for us to share.

“Oh!” Jess said, jumping up from her seat, “I’ve got a Valentine’s Day present for you.”

“What?” I laughed, “I thought you hated Valentine’s Day?”

“Well,” Jess grinned, passing me an envelope, “I guess I just haven’t tried to celebrate it properly. Remember last year?” I nodded, I’d been abroad for work.

“Come here,” I said, grabbing hold of Jess’ waist and pulling her down onto my lap. She reached across the table for her glass of champagne, and we sat and shared the cake as I opened the envelope.