Fifty Three & Fifty Four

Start from the beginning

“They’re all lovely!” she exclaimed.

“But which is the best?”

“Sissy, in the twenty some years that I’ve known you, I’ve never seen you even once concerned about how you look.”

I didn’t respond to this statement. Instead I shot Marnie an eye roll and wandered back to my room to try on another dress. To be honest I was concerned about how I looked because I knew I was likely to run into Aston. It was the night of a big charity dinner, for the same charity that Aston and I had first gone to an event for together. I don’t know why, but I felt the need to look good. Maybe it was a confidence thing, or maybe I was being superficial, but regardless I was fretting about my appearance.

“Thoughts?” I asked Marnie, once I’d come out of my room again.

“I like that the best,” Marnie replied, her eyes on the television behind me.

“Marn! Pay attention!”

“Jess, I have no idea what your deal is, but honestly they all look great.”

“That doesn’t help! I need to wear one dress, not six.”

“What about that green one?”

“What green one?” I asked.

“It’s like knee length, emerald green, with bead detailing on the bodice…”

“OH!” I said, my face lighting up. “Forgot about that one.”

“The green looks so nice with your skin tone.”

“Let me go try it,” I said, heading back to my room. It was weird, but I was acting like a teenage girl. What had this boy done to me?

I slipped into the dress, turning in the mirror and admiring my reflection. It was a nice dress.

“That’s the one!” Marnie declared.

“I agree.”

“I still think you’re being funny,” Marnie said, “Sissy… what’s really going on?”

“Nothing, just being indecisive,” I lied.

“Really?”

“Yup!”

The truth was, I hadn’t told her any thing about the Aston situation. I didn’t want to get her all excited about it. She was one of those people that would butt into my business and try to help me out, probably only causing trouble. I loved her dearly, but I liked to keep my mouth shut around her if I didn’t want things ending in disaster.

“So when is your date coming?” Marnie asked.

“No date tonight,” I said.

“Excuse me?! What is going on tonight?!”

“Just couldn’t find anyone,” I shrugged. Actually, if I wanted to speak to Aston it was probably better if I didn’t have some guy hanging around. It would just make things awkward.

“LIES!” Marnie declared.

“No,” I defended, “I asked everyone!”

“Yeah right,” Marnie said, “Jessica Rego, I can see right through you.”

“Whatever,” I mumbled.

“Something is up, and I’m going to get to the bottom of it! Whether you like it or not!”

“You do that,” I said, “I’ve got to go do my hair and makeup.”

“Oh, run away,” Marnie laughed.

I wandered back to my room and slipped my dress off, throwing a dressing gown on so I could do my hair and makeup. I didn’t want to get anything on my dress after all. Once finished I inspected my appearance in the mirror, slipping on some tear drop earings and a matching necklace, before shimmying back into my dress.

“How’s this then?” I asked Marnie, who was still sprawled on the sofa.

“Gorgeous,” she grinned.

“Thanks,” I said, going to sort myself a glass of white wine while I waited for my car to arrive. I was a ball of nerves as I sat with Marnie and sipped my drink. I had no idea what she was watching on the television, and honestly I didn’t care, I was too busy repeating the speech I’d written out for Aston in my head.

The buzzer went off, indicating my car was here. I said my goodbye to Marnie and headed down the stairs, nervous as anything.

Once at the event I made my way down the red carpet. Ever since I’d been with Aston, in whatever capacity that was, I’d become more of a press magnet than I was used to. It was probably due to his celebrity, and it was certainly something that I couldn’t be bothered with. I did my best to seem cordial, answering prying questions about being at the event alone, and then I headed into the venue.

Inside the banquet hall I made my way to my assigned table, spotting my parents already there. I was actually surprised to see my mother, as she didn’t come to these very often, and when I sat down she gave me a bright smile.

“You look nice,” she said with a wink.

“Thanks Mum,” I replied, pulling at my dress. I was more used to wearing long gowns to events like this, so it was a bit weird to be in a short one.

“Have you seen him yet?” she asked me.

“Who?” my father questioned, butting in.

“No one,” I said.

“Aston,” my Mum smiled.

“Oh, he’s coming, is he?” my Dad asked.

I felt my cheeks blush red and I did my best to distract myself from my parents. My Mum was nattering away about god knows what, and my Dad kept trying to embarrass me. I was 26 years old, but my parents still made me cringe like I was 14.

After about twenty minutes of sitting with my parents I spotted one of Aston’s band mates come into the room with his date on his arm. I stared at his entrance, keeping my eyes out for Aston.

And then I saw him, with a gorgeous blonde on his arm.

I had no idea who she was, but she seemed absolutely radiant in a navy blue gown, her slim petite frame looking absolutely perfect. I felt my fingers shaking in my lap as I stared at her, my eyes stinging as I snapped my glance away.

I avoided eye contact with my Mum, even though I knew she’d seen them come in too. Honestly, I had no idea what to do or say. I was so sure that I could just waltz up to him and tell him how it was. But clearly I’d not thought about this sort of situation. I’d waited too long, hell four months had passed. He’d clearly moved on, as he well should have.

Letting out a ragged breath I felt the massive wall in my psyche come smashing back down again. I knew I’d been stupid to veer off my normal course and let it slide up a bit. Why did I think that I could all of a sudden forget about all of the decisions I’d ever made in my life?

Nope, I was being stupid. I needed to get my priorities straight and forget about that silly boy across the room. For once and for all.