Forty-Seven & Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

“Ast…” I moaned, looking at it. I knew he did it because it was my birthday, but it was still unnecessary.

“I know you said you don’t like birthdays, but I couldn’t resist,” he smiled. I watched as the waitress placed a candle in it and then took out a lighter, sending the candle alight. Together with Aston she sang Happy Birthday to me, my face going bright red all the while.

“You didn’t have to,” I said. Several of the cafes patrons had joined into the song, and were clapping away as I sat and stared at my cake.

“Just make a wish and blow out your candle,” Aston prompted.

I looked up at him quickly, catching his gentle smile, and then I thought about my wish for a minute. What did I want more than anything in the world? It was certainly a tough one.

“You make a wish for me,” I said after a moments contemplation.

“What?”

‘Think of a wish for me,” I said again. Why not let him decide for me? He seemed to think he knew everything that was best for me, so why not let him decide my wish. It was just a silly birthday wish after all.

Aston nodded his head, and I blew the candle out, just as wax was starting to drip onto the slice of cake.

“Don’t tell me what you wished,” I said, “Until it comes true.”

“I won’t,” he grinned.

“Good.”

We grabbed the forks the waitress had left on the table and dug into the cake, laughing away at how silly the sledding had been. I couldn’t say it was my favorite thing I’d ever done, but I’d certainly enjoyed trying something new.

“We should try other new things,” Aston said after a minute, “You said you can’t drive.”

“Oh no!” I replied, “I’m not letting you teach me how to drive.”

“Why not?” Aston grinned, “I’m an excellent driver.”

“No.”

“I’m going to get you behind the wheel of a car, you mark my words,” he laughed, taking a sip of his drink.

We finished up in the café, deciding we were sufficiently dry to get back in the car and head back to London. I was shocked at how much fun I was having; I didn’t want my time with Aston to end! It was an almost full reversal of how things had been earlier in the day, something I was grateful for. I hadn't being in a fight with someone.

And then I thought about what his mother had said. Maybe she was right? Maybe I was falling for him? That would explain the urge I’d had to kiss him when we’d woken up that morning. And how I actually really enjoyed spending time with him. And how I didn’t want this weird fake relationship to end. And… everything.

Oh hell… I was in trouble now.

We climbed into the car, getting comfortable for the last hour or so of driving. Thinking I better check my phone since it was my birthday after all, I snatched out my personal mobile, only to see about thirty missed calls.

“What?” I asked out loud, shocked at what I was seeing.

“Everything ok?”

“I never have this many calls,” I said, flicking through them. There were a lot from my father. A LOT. “Shit,” I mumbled, diving into my bag and snatching out my work mobile. “Oh god.”

“What is it?” Aston asked.

“Work.”

“On a Sunday afternoon?”