16. Hunt

Way Down We Go by Kaleo is the song for this chapter :)
———————————————-

Sam stood before the remaining members of the council on the same morning that Harry was found. He could hardly control the tick in his cheek from irritation. He needed to get out and hunt around the Clearwater house with his pack, not talk about it. The only thing that kept him from saying so was that these men were Harry's close friends. They didn't mean to hold the pack back.

"Samuel, are you listening? Sue told us that Harry's body had lacerations in it, consistent with a knife." Old Quil asked.

"So?" Let him chase a scent and get real answers.

"So the odds of this being a cold one is weird. What cold one doesn't just go for the jugular?" This time it was Billy speaking.

"Well who on earth would hurt Harry if not the vampire who has been playing with us for all these months?" Sam growled.

"Well, from the way Sue was awoken and was toyed with, we have reason to suspect it's of... supernatural source." Old Quil clamored hesitantly, but Sam detected the faintest threads of smugness in his tone.

"What are you getting at? If it's supernatural and not a cold one..." Sam was confused before the implication of a knife hit him like a train.

"You've got to be fucking with me?! You think Bella did this?" He trembled in outrage at one of his pack, an imprint, being blamed for such an atrocity.

Old Quil's face displayed no remorse. "It could've only been her."

Billy winced at his old friend but nodded his head at Sam. "I don't believe so either, but as chief, I can't ignore that possibility." He saw the look on the alpha's face and quickly added. "It's too much speculation to file a formal charge. I'm merely asking that you and the rest of the pack keep an eye on her. Avoid Paul as the guard because-"

"But she's an imprint, Billy!"

"Please understand that my request is just a precaution. This council-" The chief cast an aggravated look at Old Quil. "will not do anything rash or stupid. The well-being of the tribe is our first priority, but Bella's bond to us is not under dispute. We just want everyone safe."

Sam sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Alright. I'll ask Bella to start patrolling with us, so that she has about three wolves with her at all times and our duties aren't neglected. On off time, I'll put Jared on her."

Billy nodded and frowned. "Why not Jake?"

"If Paul's not allowed to guard his imprint, then Jake isn't guarding Bella either. You want a pissed off Paul rampaging around?" He leveled a stare at his chief and the man quickly shook his head sheepishly. "Can I actually look for the bastard now?" Sam was at the end of his leash.

"Yes, be careful Samuel." Old Quil said regally.

Last time I checked you're not the chief. The werewolf did not budge an inch and looked at Billy.

The older Black smiled, "Watch out for your brothers and sisters, son." He spoke in Quileute.

Only then did Sam walk away.