6. Circles

Hi!
So less action, more talking this chapter! Thank you so much for the reads, comments, and votes!
-rednight73
—————————-

Paul's POV

"I can only tell you some ... of it. Just about me." Bella peeked at us through her thick lashes, looking slightly apologetic. "Which I know isn't really fair, but there are others like me that deserve their privacy."

We absorbed that. It made sense. Silence ensued and Bella seemed to gather herself, her nerves shining through.

"I'm half-human, on Charlie's side, as you could probably guess." She nodded to Billy, "He can't know, because it would needlessly hurt him I think, not cause I don't think he could handle it." She stopped again. I felt sympathy because she appeared so lost and overwhelmed.

Billy's face fell at the thought of keeping another secret from Charlie. "This has something to do with Renee?"

She closed her eyes and then looked at me, seeming to draw strength from somewhere. "Yes. I fear that if he knows I'm not human, he will think Renee left him for a different reason other than stated. I don't want to give him false hope... Renee is the one person where Dad isn't reasonable, I want him to move on, to be happy. He can't afford that setback. So please don't tell him." She stared down at Billy, showing that bitch I loved so much. Wait, did I just think the "L" word, gross.

Billy looked equally as fierce in that moment, "I don't agree with your assessment of Charlie's strength, but if he finds someone, you tell him."

Bella nodded, seeming to agree with Billy's terms. That taken care of, she seemed out of things to say.

Our chief took charge. "Do you mind if we ask you some questions?"

"I'll answer what I can." Bella inclined her head, gracefully. I was finding it difficult to focus on her words and not just her face. I didn't care what the hell she was at this point. She was mine. Slow it up, creep. I really was in a bad place.

"Are you a danger to humans?" Embry asked.

Bella didn't even blink. "No. I eat, sleep, and dream like a human. Other than my strength, I'm relatively safe unless threatened."

This time is was Jacob's turn. "What happens when you're threatened?" His voice was dead.

"I can subconsciously influence people's attention away from me, but only if it's life-threatening. Some real adrenaline has to be going on and it's not voluntary on my part. Doesn't work on vamps. That's unique to me, not my kind, sort of like how some humans are double-jointed or have a sixth sense."

I liked the idea of Bella having such a unique way to protect herself.

Jacob's hand slammed on the table. "Like when you went missing from your room?" He started to shake at the memory until Jared grabbed his shoulder gently and shook his head.

Bella's eyes widened. "Th-that was you, Jake? I thought for days it was a vampire watching me." The last part was a whisper. The fear in her voice was hard to deny and Jake's face automatically relaxed. He stepped forward and now put his hand on her shoulder.

"Oh Bells." My girl looked thrilled to have her friend-zoned shmuck talking to her again.

I coughed loudly and they broke apart. Bells glared at me. Maybe I was taking things too far. Whole protective boyfriend thing used to piss me off. Some time was definitely needed to sort my sad ass out.

Bella then closed her eyes and let a sharp hiss of air out through her teeth and it was only then that I remembered that she was hurt. Whatever we had, it was a little bit weaker than a full imprint for sure.