26: Before the Dawn

Start from the beginning

***************************

Salem
I felt someone shaking me and I mumbled, turning over. I saw my father and sat up, looking at him.
"Oh, you look better already!" he said, looking ecstatic.
"What?"
"Hurry, get dressed. We don't have time."
"Father-"
"You're good and well for right now."
I made a face but looked at myself and felt my face. It didn't feel as gaunt as before and my undergarments seemed to be staying on a lot better than before. My stomach rumbled and I actually felt hungry for the first time in months... ravenous, actually. I made a face at my father as he set out clothing.
"What did you do?"
He looked at me.
"I gave you time."
I thought for a second and my eyes widened.
"You made a wish."
"I did."
"You made one that would bend reality!" I got up quickly and went to him, grabbing him. "Why would you do that?! Why would you do that to me?!"
"Because if you don't do this then what you sacrificed for yourself will be in vain. That's what your mother did and she is dead."
I glared at him. "She sacrificed for a better life for me and you."
"No. She sacrificed her love and life for a selfish man who couldn't tell his father no. She sacrificed for the boy she loved so much to have a life of luxury he didn't need. We were a family, we were happy, and I ruined it. You almost had a family and you sacrificed yourself to them without question because you love them. But if you die and they don't remember you then you've done nothing. They will live their lives, mourn you for a small time, and then forget you. I will not have that a second time. Now get dressed. You have a woman to woo."
He left the room and I looked at my clothing. I sighed and decided to make the best of it. After all, tonight I'll die.

*************************

Minerva
How did he know? How did that man know about Bastion's ability? Andrew said that he was Duke Barma's father... I remember seeing him briefly when I went to the duke when Bastion was captured but there was no way within that time that he would have found out that Bastion can make wishes... and what was it that Salem had that would kill him? I only heard half of the conversation but...
"Announcing Duke Salem Barma!"
I looked over as Duke Barma came down the stairs, looking oddly refreshed than before, though still tired. He nodded and smiled to those that were waiting for him to come down the stairs and then stopped midway.
"Thank you all for coming. I do apologize for my late timing. I've been a little under the weather, as some of you know, but I prepared myself for tonight because tonight is a special night. Tonight, we celebrate the engagement of a dear friend of mine, Lord Andrew Higgaby and his lovely fiancée, Lady Minerva Cavensold!"
The crowd clapped for us and the small orchestra struck up a tune. Andrew came over to me and we started to dance as the crowd moved.
"Andrew, can't this wait?" I asked quietly to him.
"I'm pretty sure it can't." he said back to me.
We danced for a little bit and the song was finally over. Everyone clapped and went about their business as Salem came down the stairs towards us.
"I'm sorry about that on the spot dance but I figured the festivities were needed to be underway for my late appearance."
"It was a bit unorthodox but nothing too bad. I'm glad you could make it to your own party."
"I thought I wasn't going to for a bit... Lady Cavensold." He said, taking my hand and kissing my knuckles. "You're looking radiant as ever in your beautiful golden dress."
"Thank you..."
"I hope food is underway soon. I'm starved. Please, enjoy yourselves to the fullest. This is your party after all..."
He left us to speak with others but I found myself following him with my eyes. Something was going on and I wish I knew what.

***************************************

Not long after Salem came down from his rooms did the cook say that dinner was underway. The feast was exquisite and Andrew sat on one side of the duke as I sat on the other, he at the head of the table. As the appetizer course came out he stood up, tapping his glass with his knife to call everyone's attention.
"I would like to propose a toast to the happy couple. Andrew is such a good friend and even though I haven't known Lady Cavensold long, I can tell that she will do Andrew some good and will be a fine companion. Andrew, take care of this woman and love her like yourself. Lady Cavensold, Minerva –if you will- please keep this man under control and by your side. He will provide everything you will ever need. To the Higgabys."
"The Higgabys." Everyone repeated.
At first I thought it was some oddity of the light but when Salem turned to me, I saw that I wasn't wrong and that blood was coming from his eye. I cleared my throat at him as he looked over.
"Your eye..." I whispered.
He touched his hand to his eye and pulled back, crimson staining his white glove and he put his hand over his eye.
"If you'll all excuse me for a moment, I must tend to something."
He left for a second and we all ate our food. He came back, his eyes free of blood, and began to make the dinner lively with many stories and tales. He was a good host, a professional host... a fake host. I could see that he was losing strength in everything he did in the night. The toasts, the boisterous fake laughter, the intrigue of his stories... he was overplaying everything to seem like he was having no issues whatsoever. He was very good at them, so good that I even forgot that he was not in the best of health.
Later on, there was dancing and Andrew and I danced the first waltz together. After that it was group dancing and after about the fourth song, Salem walked up to me.
"I believe you owe me a dance, Lady Cavensold?"
"I believe I do."
The music struck and Salem led me into a waltz. I gasped at him as he held me close.
"Duke Barma, I find your choice of dance rather bold."
"A waltz is nothing but a leader and a follower. You seem to be making more innuendos of my actions than I'm portraying. Perhaps you are the one that wants things to be different?" he said, giving me a lavish smile.
I made a face at him but followed his lead as he led me across the dance floor.
"It's just that the waltz is so close contacted."
"Indeed. I wanted a dance with you, Minerva, and no one else. Our last dance was shared with so many people and since this is my home, I wanted to share my dance with you and only you."
"Understandable... you're looking quite well from the last I saw you."
"It probably won't last the night." He said with a face as he looked out the window.
His eye was beginning to drip blood again and he looked back at me, where I saw the other was as well.
"I don't mean to alarm you, but both of your eyes are now dripping blood."
"I'm sure it can wait until the waltz is finished."
"Can you see?"
"For now. I have a feeling this won't be the last of this."
I frowned. "What do you mean?"
"I do believe I'm living on borrowed time." He said, finally wiping his eye with his hand and wiping it on his jacket. "But I'd rather spend that time with you than anywhere else."
"I'd rather you be well than waste your time on me, borrowed or not..."
He smiled sweetly at me and I felt something in the pit of my stomach twinge. This man always made me feel so confused. Finally, the waltz ended and he bowed to me.
"Thank you for that. I will keep it with me always."
He was about to leave when I felt that I should give him more than just a dance.
"Duke Barma?"
"Yes?"
"Can you... can you follow me please?"
He nodded and I lead him to the terrace. He looked down at me and I reached up, wiping the rest of the blood off of his eye.
"I don't understand what this is about... oh, your nose..."
Salem wiped his nose and made a face.
"This is getting annoying. Soon I'll be as red as a tomato..."
"This isn't funny." I said with a frown.
He chuckled. "It is when you're so calm about a man who seems to be bleeding out of his eyes and nose."
"I'll admit I'm not sure why I'm not screaming in terror about this, but this isn't what I wanted to talk to you about."
"I see."
"I... I didn't want to leave you with just a dance."
"Oh?"
"I wanted to leave you with something more. For some reason I feel I owe you so much more."
"Indeed."
I reached up and put my hand on the back of his head, pulling him to me. I kissed him on the lips right then and there, feeling as if I had come to life in that one moment.

********************************

Salem
Minerva pulled me to her and kissed me on the lips. I didn't know what to do. She had just gotten onto me for using the waltz as our dance and saying we were too close and now she was kissing me? I didn't lose this opportunity and deepened the kiss. Even though I felt the blood coming from my nose, I knew that I would rather have all the blood in my body erupt from my skin than to lose this moment. The kiss was everything that I had hoped for, everything that I wanted. I had hoped this would trigger her memory of our time together and she would realize what was happening... but as we pulled away, I could see in her eyes that this was just this. She was giving me something to hold onto and yet taking everything away from me all at once.
"I shouldn't have done that but... I just felt that I should give you more than a dance."
I nodded. "Of course." I whispered.
She smiled and left me on the terrace, broken and bleeding in more ways than one. I would die tonight and she wouldn't be the wiser. I'm nothing to her in this life and nothing I would remain.