15: It Had To Be You

Two Weeks Later
I was back to selling flowers again on the main road. I didn't stay there long during the day because Bastion was getting worse by the day. Andrew came by periodically as a curtesy call to give Bastion laudanum to numb the pain but he was slowly building up a resistance. Andrew had to come at least every other day to make sure that Bastion was still alive. I tried to keep up with him but things were getting too bad.

Andrew took the thermometer out of Bastion's mouth and frowned at the mercury inside.
"Well?"
"Well, I have to say that I'm glad I invested in this new medical instrument. It's been very helpful in these past few days... With that, his fever is rising to... well, to not good heights. I can only stress to keep him as cool as you can. Try to get some food in him if you can; broth, mashed food, anything. The only thing I can suggest is bloodletting-"
"No! No... I saw what bloodletting did to my sister when she was with fever. It's a joke."
"I see... Well, if he doesn't get better by the end of the week, that will be my last and final option."
I played with my thumbnail, wondering what I should do. I couldn't lose him like I did my sister. I wouldn't be able to live if I did.
"I don't know what to do anymore... But I can't leave him or he will die but I can't not sell flowers, or we will be on the streets and he will die. Either way, he dies!"
Andrew looked at me, his green eyes sad.
"I know you won't take the offer, but... I promise not to do anything to you –word of honor as a nobleman- if you will let me take your family in. I fear for you out here... I know you've done it most of your life but Bastion was able to take care of the kids for you. Now..."
"Thank you, Lord Higgaby, but I can't. Eadric would do something untoward to you and I still can't get over what's happened. I'm sorry but thanks."
"I figured it would be worth a shot."
Bastion suddenly gasped and began to shake. I turned as his body convulsed and I grabbed hold of him to try and get him to stop. Andrew tried to help but only one of us was going to be able to do anything.
"Minerva, he's bleeding out his nose." Andrew said calmly.
I pulled away from him and saw that blood was indeed coming out of his nose. He finally stopped convulsing and I wiped the blood away, trying to get him to wake up.
"Bastion? Sweetheart... sweetling, please wake up... Bastion..."
He opened his eyes a little and I laughed, tears falling down my face as he smiled at me.
"Mum..."
"Hey, baby... Are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?"
"No... I'm not hungry."
"You have to eat."
"I'm going to go, Minerva. I'll be back the day after next... Do you... do you want me to say anything to Salem?"
"What would he care? And when did he start talking to you?"
"After you left he said that we could be friends again since there wasn't any temptations for me or something. I'm telling you he misses you."
"That's a lie. If he missed me, he would have just come here instead of you. He knows where I live."
"No, he knows whereabouts it is but he's too prideful to apologize. Besides, he's been really self-conscious about himself ever since you left."
"Well, that's his problem. If nothing else, tell him he should see what his temper is doing to my family."
Andrew smiled and picked up his bag, leaving the house.
Bastion gasped again and I sighed, standing up.
"Eadric!"
"Yes, Mum?" he asked, coming from the kitchen.
"Make Bastion some broth and keep him cool. Make Xerxes do it or something. I have to try to sell some flowers now."
Eadric nodded and I left to sell flowers.

Eadric
I watched Mum leave and went to making some soup for Bastion. I found Xerxes playing in the corner with his wooden horses and I went over to him.
"Oi, stop playing with those and help me with Bastion."
"Why?"
"He's sick and dying. Don't you get it? Bastion's going to die, Mum is scared, and here you are, playing with your stupid horses."
"But- but I just..."
"You just what? Get up and help me with Bastion. I can't do it all myself."
"Stop it! Eadric, you're hurting me!" he cried.
"I'm not hurting you, just get up!"
"Bastion!"
"Bastion can't do anything now, you dummy.
"Hey..." I looked over as Bastion looked at us. "Quit it..."
"Bastion!" X yelled, running over to him.
"You should be sleeping."
"How can I bloody sleep when you're yelling..."
"Sorry... Can I get you anything?"
"I need water."
I nodded and went over to the bucket that Mum had from the well and dipped some out for him. I let him drink some and he coughed but I got it down. He was breathing heavy and his face was covered in sweat. He was skinnier too from the lack of moving or anything.
"X, come dip the rag in the water and put it on Bastion's head."
Bastion gasped loud again and began breathing in a hitched manner. I waited until he leveled out and he opened his eyes again.
"Eadric, you have to get the duke."
"That piece of shit?"
X smacked me in the face and I looked at him.
"Mummy would be mad at yoooouuuu."
"Enough! Eadric," I turned back to him. "You have to. You have to get the duke. He's the only one that can help me."
"How is that? It's because of him that we're here again."
"Listen carefully. I never told Mum this..." He swallowed and closed his eyes to build up more strength I think. "I never told her this because she would never let me near people... My power has a flaw."
"A flaw?"
"Yes... if a wish is too long, this happens."
"What do you mean?"
"Things that take a long time to fulfill. When you wished for Mum to get a job, I got sick then too, remember? That's because... because I had to slightly manipulate time. I have to bend reality... The duke is a wish someone made. Nine months is too long for me to keep the wish going... You have to get the duke."
"And tell him what? He doesn't care about us anymore. Besides, Mum would kill us!"
"He has to stop the wish. Only he can stop it."
"We should make a letter!" Xerxes said, swinging his legs.
"Yes. Write a letter and send it to him."
"I don't know the address."
"Mr. Andrew will come tomorrow!"
"Eadric, please. It's up to you. I'm counting on you."
"But Bastion-"
"I will die." He said softly, looking at me. He reached up and touched my face. "Eadric, help me."
I nodded and went to the roll-top desk to some paper and breathed in. I was about to write when I looked back and saw Bastion had fallen asleep. I looked at the paper and put down the quill. I would talk to the duke myself.

Salem
Who the hell was that beating at the door? I wrestled with my sheets and put a robe on as I waddled downstairs. It was a bloody nuisance not to have servants... I got to the door and opened it up to find, "Eadric. What are you doing here?"
"I need you to come with me now."
"I'm not-"
"My brother is dying and it's all your fault."
"My fault? Little boy-"
"No! You listen now! Bastion is dying! He gets close to death everyday! He's dying because he granted the wish that was made on you! This pregnancy thing is causing him to die! Please, Duke Barma, please save him!"
"I know what's happening."
"Then you'll save him!"
"I'm not listening to this rubbish. Goodbye."
I turned around and slammed the door and started to go up the stairs when I smelled something. It smelled like burning wood. I turned around just at the door exploded in and Eadric slumped on the doorframe before looking up at me, his eyes fully red like a demon.
"Duke Barma!"
"Get away from me! You're spawn of the Devil himself!"
Eadric climbed the stairs to where I was and glared up at me. He stared at me for a long time and then bent down on one knee in front of me.
"Please... I beseech thee, my lord, to please come help my brother... He said I had to come and get you. You're the only one who can save him. Please, Duke Barma! I CAN'T LET HIM DIE!" he screamed, looking up at me.
In all the time I'd known this little family, I had never once seen Eadric lose his character. He was always collected, always blunt, always together. He was breaking.
"Why is it me?"
"I don't know! I don't know but he said it was you. The wish is too long and he needs to stop it. We can't unwish it somehow. Maybe it has to do with nobility, I don't know! Please! Please!"
Eadric seemed desperate. I didn't want to but I knew I should see him.
"Let me... gather some things. I don't want people to talk."
"I don't care if you wear a god damn dress for all that matter!"
"Watch your language. Your mother would smack you." Eadric laughed a little and I smiled a little. "Dry your tears. I'll come in a moment. Get the cook to make you something while you wait."
He nodded and I went upstairs.