Chapter 1

Thousands of rays of sparkling sunlight shone through the stain glass windows of my room, making me slightly twitch.

As a vampire, the sun was one of my worst enemies, making me sparkle and burning my skin. I groaned as I rolled over on my bed, burying my head underneath a pillow, trying to shield myself from the worst of the blazing sun.

"Bella?" called Carlisle, my adoptive vampire dad. 

"In a minute." I groaned, dragging myself out of bed. The warm, soft covers seemed so inviting next to a day of school. Humans acted weird around me the rest of the non-humans, seeming either dazzled or scared. They would always try to impress us, talk with us, but none of us, the vampires or the werewolves, found them interesting. Perhaps a few werewolves like Jessica Black found the human boys amusing, but werewolves were uneducated and barbaric, so it's no wonder they act that way.

As usual, Alice, Rose, and Esme were gathered around the antique dining table, chatting away while Jasper, and Emmett lounged on the sofa, laughing about who-knows-what.

"It's about time you came down." huffed Rose, in her usual bossy tone. "Oversleeping is for mortals."

"Come on Rose," I protested. "It's only six in the morning. I always wake up around this time."

She gave me a menacing glare, but to my relief, said no more. Rosalie was always up before everyone else, curling her beautiful blond hair, trying on dozens of outfits, carefully applying makeup, and just trying to look fabulous. She never seemed to be tired, no matter how much effort she wastes on her looks, no matter how much sleep she gets. I sometimes envied her ability to look awake, even though she might have been tired.

With her golden eyes pinned on my face, she let out a little huff.

"Really, Bella, could you at least do us all a favor and get rid of those ridiculous raccoon eyes!" she said accusingly while pointing at the dark shadows underneath my eyes.

I couldn't have cared less about how I looked, really. I thought I looked just fine, even though I couldn't even compare to Rose, or even Alice. Alice was dressed in a long black nightgown, with lace trimmings and shiny beads. She was always wearing something bizarre, and she liked to force those things onto me.

"I'm going out for a walk." I said, wanting to get out of the house for a bit. It wasn't that easy to live with a bunch of picture perfect vampires when you weren't exactly glamorous your self.

"But Bella, you need some rest, dear, it's going to be a long day," Esme began as I slipped on some sneakers, ready to head out.

"I decide what I want." I replied meanly, even though I didn't want to. Esme was kind and sympathetic, but this morning, I couldn't tolerate anyone, not even her.

"I'm going out, and that's that." I declared. And with that, I stormed out the door, not even bothering to listen to anything Alice, or even Esme wanted to say.

The autumn air was cool, with the scent of wet leaves in the air. Walking down the path, I noticed something I didn't see often. A runaway dog, pacing around the sidewalk, looking scared and lost.

Seize the chance! I told myself, ready to spring. It was a big golden retriever, around adulthood, with bright golden fur that gleamed in the sun. My prey didn't wander to me everyday, but when it did, I knew what I needed to do.

"I'm sorry." I said to the dog, aware that I was about to end the animal's life. Just as I was about to leap onto the massive mutt, some one shouted, "Billy!"

i quickly withdrew my fangs, waiting to see what it was and switched to a pouncing position, ready for anything. But it wasn't a vampire, or a werewolf, or even a mortal adult.

It was a boy, with copper colored hair and brilliant golden eyes, much like my own. Yet I could sense he wasn't a vampire, by the sound of his breathing, by the pulse of his warm, delicious,...

"Hey, I've never seen you around here." he said, interrupting my thoughts.