Chapter 2

I stood there for five whole seconds my mouth gaping open. "Are you coming or not?" He asked, tapping his steering wheel impatiently.

"No!" I replied, walking ahead. "Ok whatever," he said, about to gas it.

"Wait wait! Maybe I could use a lift..." I said trying to keep my teeth from chattering. "Get in," he replied unlocking the door. I got in and we drove in silence except for whenever I had to tell him where to turn. I felt a bit bad because my soaking clothes where probably ruining the leather. This leather probably costs more than me.

We finally arrived at my house and I was about to thank him when he interrupted me. "If you ever tell anyone about this at school, I'll murder you."

I pressed my lips in a line swallowing my thank you. "Wasn't planning too," I replied getting out of his car. I walked to my front door and looked back, his car was already gone. I let out a breath I hadn't know I was holding and went inside.

My mom was waiting inside on the couch, her arms folded in the basic 'where the hell were you? I'm going to kill you' pose. "Before you say anything I want to tell you that this is all your fault." I said to her calmly.

"How is this my fault? My fault that you got a detention! What did you do? You didn't hurt anyone right. Were.. you doing something with a girl?" She rapid fired at me. "Ew no mom. I got a detention because I was tardy. You insisted on driving me to school today but we had to come back home to get you your bagel." I effectively left out the part that I had gotten two tardies before this.

"Oh.. my bagel.. hehe, you're all good. You want some chicken soup to warm you up?" She said changing the topic. I nodded, "I'll go take a shower first."

"Be sure to dry your hair well or you'll get sick," she replied, walking to the kitchen. I walked upstairs to be met with Yejun glaring at me.

Yejun was my adopted younger brother. We had adopted him when my mother learned that she could no longer have children. Even though Yejun and I have a huge age difference, we're still closer than most brothers.

"What's wrong Yejun?" I asked ruffling his hair. He pouted, "you said we could go to the park today and take pictures!" "Yejun. It's raining outside today. Tell you what, we can go right after school tomorrow and I'll even buy you ice cream." I replied back to him. His eyes widened and he started nodding excitedly. "Only if you finish your math homework," I added. He shot me a thumbs up and ran to my room that he shared with me.

I quickly finished showering in the hot water, successfully getting rid of the lingering cold from my walk home. I stood in front of the mirror inspecting myself.

Was I actually a girl repellent? I frowned. I'm not that bad looking. I have brown tousled hair, warm brown eyes, faint freckles, and light gold skin. It wasn't my looks.. right?

What was I doing. Aaron's dumb, and whatever he says is 99% of the time wrong. I changed and went downstairs, licking my lips in anticipation for my mom's home cooked chicken soup.

Yejun was at the kitchen counter working through his math problems, and I could hear my mom softly whistling in the kitchen. "Hey mom," I said kissing her cheek. She smiled and stirred the soup.

"Hey mom, is dad coming home today?" I asked hesitantly. "Um, no, h-he's working overtime tonight."

Apparently 'working overtime' was code word for my dad going to bars and picking up girls half his age. I hated the man. He couldn't even take proper care of his own family. He even had the nerve to yell at me for wanting to pursuit my passion in photography. He was messed up, and it was obvious how much my mother was hurting. I sometimes thought divorce would be the best option, the only option really, but both of them were too stubborn to actually leave each other.

I didn't ask anymore questions, not wanting to make my mom more uncomfortable than she already was. I brought out two bowls and she poured soup into both bowls. "Clean the bowls after you're done, okay? I'm going to go take a nap."

I brought the two bowls out to the kitchen table where Yejun was working at and set a bowl for him and one for me. "Dylan, can you help me with this problem?"

I read over the problem and explained it to him. "Erin has 6 pies, and her mom bakes her two more. Her best friend eats half of the pies. How much does she have left? Ok basically you have to add 6 with..."

~•~

After finishing my homework and helping Yejun with his, I decided to do some house work. Mom already works hard at the small restaurant in the city, and she had to work overtime because she barely has any pocket money.

After making Yejun go take a shower, I got out my speakers and started playing some music and got to work. I started by sweeping the floors and vacuuming. After finishing that I cleaned the dishes and sink.

Yejun came downstairs his hair a dripping mess. "Yejun, go back to the bathroom and dry your hair properly," I told him. "I tried! Mommy usually does it for me." He replied. "But I didn't want to wake mommy up."

"Come on, I'll dry it for you." I took his hand and led him upstairs. After drying his hair thoroughly, I made him go to bed. It was nearing 9:30 and I decided to check on mom and go to sleep myself. Today had really tired me out.

I walked into her bedroom and could hear her snoring softly. She must be really tired, if she went to sleep without eating dinner. I kissed her forehead lightly and went out. I really hoped she was okay.

I walked into my own room and saw Yejun on his bed from the faint glow of the night light. I slowly crawled into mine making sure I didn't wake him up.

A few minutes later I heard his voice. "Dylan?"

"Aren't you asleep?"

"Yeah I'm asleep. But can I ask you something?"

I chuckled, "ok. What is it?"

"Mommy looks so tired. And daddy isn't coming home now. Will mommy and daddy be ok?"

I sighed, not wanting to lie to him and say everything will be alright. I also didn't want to cut away all his hopes, and say that I don't think they'll ever be all right. So I said the one thing I could.

"I don't know Yejun.. I don't know"