(9) Conflicting Emotions

Chapter 9 - Conflicting Emotions

"As Gertrude Stein once said 'America is my country and Paris is my hometown'," I tell Nathan over the phone as I revise a contract.

"I know Autumn, but when do you plan on moving back to your country?" He asks irritatingly and all I do is sigh.

"When I'm sure that the company's new branch is stable enough. I'm sorry Nathan, but I really have to get back to work." I bid my farewells and hang up knowing that my brother is disappointed with me.

I take a sip from my coffee and watch the Parisians around me. Right across the street are two lovebirds holding hands and stare at each other with utter admiration.

"They see the stars in each others eyes and that's how you know they are soulmates." A man points at the empty seat in front of me and I nod.

"You are a sad lonely girl in the city of love," the man states in a thick French accent. I sit up straight replying,"I'm not sad sir. I'm just exhausted from work."

The French man takes a long glance at my face then shakes his head, "there are no stars in your eyes. All I see is rain. What is wrong mademoiselle?"

"I'm a heartbroken girl trying to get distracted by work in the city of love," I glance once again at the couple who are staring at the galaxies in each others eyes.

The old man laughs and I feel quite offended for opening up to this stranger, but I thought this would play out like all these cliché romance movies where the heartbroken women opens up to a random French man in a café across from the Eiffel Tower. He then proceeds to give her a wise love quote that you'd find plastered all over Tumblr. The girl is then inspired and books the first ticket to the arms of the man she loves. Happily ever after blah blah blah

Well let's give it a shot.

"The love of my life lied to me about everything. He says he doesn't love me, but I'm sure he does! I'm sure! " I sigh quite dramatically pretending to be in a movie. Nothing actually happened; work just teared us apart and we are hesitant about our feelings to each other, so we decided to take a break. No biggie :)

"I'm sorry miss but I must get back to my work. May you find the solution to your problems," the old man says quickly and scurries away dissolving amongst the crowd. I scared the poor man away with my terrible acting skills. Guess my life can't be like a Hollywood movie ha ha ha.

On a more serious note, the reason I've moved to Paris suddenly was to hit two birds with one stone. The main reason was to escape from Blake and my feelings, so I decided to open a new branch of the company to distract myself. Look at me being an adult taking logical decisions...

I glance one more time at the couple sighing before grabbing my cold coffee and walking towards the car waiting for me.

I get in stating, "Avenue Montaigne." Let's take even worse decisions and spend more money due to my conflicting emotions!

A few minutes later, I stop the driver in front of Tiffany & Co and tell him to wait. As I step out of the car and look inside the store, I turn around and get back into the car. Why must Blake Hunter be here? From all the places in the world? Coincidence? I think not.

The more important question? Why is he in a jewelry store? Either he's buying for me or his sister. Yes, the possibility of him cheating on me did cross my mind, but we are currently implementing Ross and Rachel's infamous concept.

Well he's gonna have to play harder to reach me. Yes, I am acting like an immature child, but I have the money to support doing so...Oh well

I call my PA and once she answers I state, "please prepare the plane so I could back to New York tonight. My work here is done."

Blake's POV

"Don't worry Nathan. I don't plan on leaving France without Autumn by my side. I lost her once and it won't happen again," I calm Nathan down as the taxi comes to a stop in front of Autumn's favorite store.

"I hope so because you know how stubborn Autumn has become. I have to get back to work so good luck," he hangs up.

Things became chaotic in the few months before Autumn left for Paris. After Autumn found out about my drug addiction she felt low-spirited that she wasn't a part of my life to assist me. That's why I told her everything I could remember.

Autumn insisted that I shouldn't feel forced to open a door that was locked. However, I didn't let her know that the door wasn't fully locked. I do enjoy a cigarette from time to time even though she despises them.

Unfortunately, she found out about the small lie and got so dramatic to the point of moving to another country. I remember the last fight as if it occurred yesterday.

Flashback:

"Autumn aren't you being a bit dramatic. It's just smoking," I state calmly as I avoid the pillow she throws at me.

"Yes, I am being dramatic so I hope you're enjoying the soap opera," she goes into our room and slams the door.

"Autumn can you please come out and discuss this. You're not being reasonable," I knock on the door.

The door opens and a tear-stricken Autumn steps out. She opens her mouth stopping me from talking and states, "listen Blake. I'm not sad about the cigarettes even though I despise them. It's your body and you chose to destroy your lungs decreasing your lifespan. What makes me sad is you lying to me. This isn't the first time and you've broken the trust bond between us."

I open my mouth to begin defending myself but she raises her hand stopping me once again. "I think we need to take some time off."

I wish I had said no. I wish I had not let her go for the second time, but I was foolish and did quite the opposite. It seems that I never learn from my mistake.

Autumn's POV

"Welcome on board Miss Autumn. This flight will take 8 hours and 35 minutes..." The pilot states the usual; however, I zone out as I can't stop thinking why he's here.

"He can't possibly be here for me," I think out loud. Someone ascends the plane stating, "but I am."

I look up and see no other than Blake. From all the words, the first that come out of my mouth are "this is a Hollywood movie."

IT'S BEEN A WHILE MY BEAUTIFUL READERS BUT WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS. SOOO much has happened in my life and I couldn't squeeze a few minutes in to write even though it was killing me. Hope you haven't forgotten Autumn and Blake's storyyyy

Hope you enjoy the chapter and watch out for more!!

Hope you're all having a lovely day❤️

Lots of love,

Menna xx