🌺 Chapter XXXVII

<Groff's POV>

Via quietly hums as she pours out her coffee. I realize that I haven't heard her hum or sing, like, ever. I vaguely recognize the song, but she's humming so quietly that I really can't tell.

 "So, kid," I say.

"Hm?"

"Can we talk for a little bit?" She looks at me suspiciously, taking a drink of her coffee. "You don't have anything to do, right?"

"I have homework. Why?"

"Okay, cool. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have a date with your, umm, girlfriend." She sighs and sets down her coffee, burying her face in her hands. Spice walks over and sits at her feet. "Via, it's fine."

"Who told you?" she asks, crouching down to pet her dog.

"Well... you did." She looks at me, then back at Spice. "Via, I promise you, I don't care. Date whoever you want. I mean, as long as it's not someone who's way older than you."

"I'm not doing that again, trust me," she mutters. She bites her nails, closing her eyes. "Stop it. Just- Just go away."

"I got this for you, too," I say. I pull a trans flag pin out of my pocket, holding it out to her. She quickly stands up, glaring at me. I quickly back away, raising my hands. "Via--"

"Shut up." She reaches into her back pocket and flips open a switchblade. Spice barks, but Via doesn't drop her gaze. "Do you think this is funny?"

"No, Via. I don't." She blinks quickly, shaking her head. "I'm not going to hurt you, Via. You're safe here. Now, please put the knife down."

"I- I can't." Her hand shakes and she sharply inhales. I take a step forward and she flinches away, shutting her eyes. I carefully grab her wrist, taking the knife out of her hand. I hug her and she shakily exhales.

"I don't care," I whisper, rubbing her back. "You're my child, and I love you no matter what."

"I told myself I'd run away if you found out," she whispers, backing away from me. "But I- I really don't want to."

"Then don't."

"Groff, I have to. No matter how much you say it doesn't matter, it does. You know I'm trans. You know I'm bi. You can't forget it."

"I hope I don't forget it." She looks at me for a long moment. "Via... it's who you are. You're my daughter. My wonderful, amazing daughter."

"Thank you," she whispers, softly smiling. I hold out the pin again and she takes it, studying it.

"Olivia told me." She sighs, rolling her eyes.

"Of course she did." She grabs her coffee that's been sitting on the counter and takes a long drink from it. "Her name is Beth."

"Who? Olivia?"

"No, my girlfriend."

"Oh. And, Eli?"

"Elizabeth," she says slowly. I purse my lips to keep from smiling, but it doesn't work. "Why are you laughing?"

"It's cute," I say. "The whole fake-name thing."

"Whatever." She flips me off and I laugh.

"Are you happy?" She nods, looking at her coffee cup. "That's really all that matters to me."

"I really don't deserve this," she mumbles. "I should be in some shithole of a foster home right now."

"Via, don't say that. You- You deserve everything and more." She looks at me, slowly exhaling. "I love you, kid."

"Did you know I was trans before?"

"I had a hunch. I just didn't think too much about it because I figured you'd bring it up when you were ready."

"And you still brought it up." I shrug, smiling sheepishly. "I'm not on HRT, just so you know."

"What's that?"

"Hormone-replacement therapy. Testosterone and estrogen, blah, blah, blah. I didn't have enough money or therapy to get it."

"Sorry, kid. You're still a really pretty girl, though." She smiles, blushing lightly. "So, tell me about your girlfriend. I want to know everything."

"She- She's perfect, Groff." She genuinely smiles, and that tells me everything I need to know. "She's kind and respectful, and she's friends with almost everyone. I've never felt like this before with someone. And I've dated a lot of people."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Long story."

"I have time." She takes a deep breath, rolling her eyes.

"One-night stands, running away from home, week-long flings, and occasional parties. They get you out of the house and away from the abuse."

"How many partners have you had?"

"If I'm being honest, about a hundred?"

"Jesus, Via." She shrugs, smirking as she takes a drink of her coffee.

"I'll be back in a minute." She walks upstairs, Spice following her. I lean on the counter, processing everything. Via tosses a thick manila folder onto the counter and I look at her. "You might as well read it. I don't think I'm leaving anytime soon."

I grin and she chews on her lip, hiding her smile. I open the case folder, seeing Via's birth certificate. Oliver Rivero Gutierrez. I hold it up, raising my eyebrows at her.

"What, did you expect me to out myself for the sake of a stupid birth certificate?" she scoffs.

"Fair enough." I put the sheet of paper back in the folder and close it. "You know what, I think that's been enough personal information for one day. I'll read the rest later."

"Groff, there's something you should know before you read it." I nod and she crosses her arms, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "You're going to read a lot of... things. And no matter what you say or think, you're going to look at me differently."

 "Okay."

"Promise me you won't send me away?"

"I promise, kid." I hold out my arms and she hugs me, sighing happily. "I'm never letting you go."

 A/N

Hi, everyone. 

Happy (late) spooky season.

Thanks for reading this book that I've put waaaaaay too much effort into.

Love y'all!