Thirteen- Aware

Chapter 13- Aware

“I am a shifter, Jaymes” were the words that kept haunting me. Uncountable questions rose through my head. Once again, inquiries without answers; I needed answers.

My body jerked, jolting me from what seemed to be a deep slumber that I was in. I found myself in my unlit room, the blanket covering my legs and both sides of my hip; the only light streaming in was the dull glow of the moon from my window. I sat up, feeling more covered than I would choose for bed. My mind half doubted everything that the previous hours had happened. To answer myself, I pulled the cover from my legs and saw I was still in jeans as well as in the same shirt that I had been during the previous events.

“It wasn’t a dream” said the voice that somehow always made a pleasurable chill dance up and down my spine “if that’s what you’re thinking”

I looked ahead where I saw him come into view as he stepped forward; hands in his pockets. He glanced to his right, looking out the window, straight up at the dull glow of the moon.

“I don’t really do these things” he said, his tone as if he was deep into thinking “but lately I have been. There’s this…girl…who just won’t leave my thoughts alone.” he chuckled humorlessly for a second “This girl, she’s just so…irresistible. And I don’t know what it is about her that lures me in” he paused “and the hardest thing, is I can’t let her go”

He turned his head to face me and though in the dim light, my vision was sharp; I saw only him.

“You have questions,” he said “I understand”

I swallowed, “You’re here to answer them? No more avoiding me?”

He gave me a sly, one sided smile as his only offer for answer.

“Okay,” I began, closing my eyes to try to sort out my jumbled mind “first, what in the world is a shifter?”

He blinked, nodding very slightly I almost didn’t see it “I knew that would be your first question. But, you’re smart, Jaymes, the name itself explains what we are”

I kept eye contact with him, but as realization hit me, my eyes drifted low and to the right, to nothing in particular as I exhaled.

“Shape shifters” I murmured

“Correct” he confirmed

“Wait,” I said, standing up, facing him, but my eyes were still averted “so you mean to say, you can shape shift?”

“I’m not saying anything, Jaymes. You figured this on your own” he casually spoke

Ignoring his remark, I replied “Shape shift into what?” I looked up to meet his eyes with mine

“My ability is to shift into…what you saw earlier. And though you see it Jaymes, doesn’t mean it’s real. Your eyes play tricks on you” he said