One: Introduction

One

Montana, Kalispell

February 7th,2009

The sun had cowardly hid behind the heavy, gray cloud as I glanced up at the sky from where I stood. I was in front of my mother's poppies bush, behind the house. I lowered my gaze back to the lovely flowers. I was stroking their tops with the tip of my middle finger when I noticed one of them hadn't bloomed yet. I took it between my fingers, on my right hand while my left fingers stroked the tip of it gently. The color brightened, but it didn't open.

I hummed a low, random sound and noticed that it straightened. Despite myself, I smiled. I haven't dealt with stubborn flowers such as this. I gently placed it back with its group, turned and walked back into the brown and white colored house. Kalispell isn't much known. It's a small, but modern place in Montana. This was probably because it was slightly close to the woods.

Though, recently, most of the people moved from here to other places bigger and a lot more modern. It seemed like they immediately took the offer to move, packed up and left as soon as they could. It wasn't a mystery as to why, I doubted Kalispell was even on the map. But, it was still odd at how almost ninety-six percent of the people moved away.

"Hey Jaymes" Annie smiled at me, breaking me from my reverie as I entered the kitchen. Her warm sky blue eyes brightened her expression. Her blond shoulder-length hair was tied up in a ponytail as she cooked bacon "You're up early sweetie"

I grimaced at the nickname "Good Morning mom" my voice cool; polite

"Morning. Is your sister up yet?" she asked, turning off the stove

"Umm.. Not yet" I answered, watching as she flipped the viand from the pan to a small serving plate. Natalie was up until midnight last night, typing endlessly, using my laptop, unfortunately since hers was in the shop. Annie had always told us to share, therefore, I let her use it.

I watched as she sashayed from the kitchen to the small door frame- that had no doors attached to it - that led to a rectangular dining table.

"Your father?" she asked, arranging the utensils

"Still in bed, I think" I leaned my back on the wall, with my palms open behind me for support.

"Oh, well then, you excited for school?" she asked, turning to face me.

I knew what this was about, she was referring to the new students in Flathead High School, since the old ones had basically moved away. It was like starting over. She and I had talked about it since we figured they were moving out.

I sighed. Should I be? "Totally"

"You're a bad liar, honey" she said smiling, probably enjoying the fact

Again with the nicknames! "I know." I mumbled

She giggled "But that's a good thing, though." she said "You shouldn't hide anything from me"

I got confused "Why would I?"

"That's why you shouldn't, you don't have a reason, plus! I am your mom, so, you should tell me everything" she grinned

"Everything?" I asked, uncomfortable with the word, all of a sudden.

She's like this. Believe me. She loves to know things.

"Everything" she confirmed with the grin still on her lips.

A set of footsteps, from the doorway near the stairs, sounded coming toward us. Natalie stood there, her golden straight hair fell up to a few inches below her shoulders, her open brown eyes still dazed with sleep. She still had on pajama pants and a loose blouse over pink slippers that made it obvious she just got out of bed.