Midnight Charm By the Pool

Start from the beginning

Omkara thought that dragging the food thief into the pool area and then confronting them would be the best way to resolve the matter without attracting the whole family to the hall. He didn't want to escalate a situation that could be easily resolved with his killer anger and deadly warnings. But, when he turned the thief around to see who was checking their fridge out in the middle of the night, he was met with the beautiful, dazzling hazel eyes that had entered his brain more often than not since the last time he had seen them.

Gauri stared in shock into Om's bewildered eyes.

Shock. Surprise. Relief. Confusion. Anger.

So many emotions flitted through his eyes that she had a hard time keeping up with them. She needed to explain to him that she wasn't a thief, before he called the police or accused her of something she wasn't responsible for. But, before she could open her mouth, he was already attacking her with probing questions.

"What the hell are you doing here in the middle of the night in my house? And that too stealing food from the kitchen? I thought you were a nice girl and you turned out to be a stal-"

Om stopped in the middle of his rant when he heard the familiar footsteps of his brother Shivaay making his way to the poolside. His eyes momentarily widened at the prospect of his brother seeing Gauri and to keep the situation under control, he sent her under the table to hide while he handled Shivaay. Determined not to let his brother worry about the beautiful intruder, he quickly searched his mind for a lie that would send Shivaay away.

"Om? I thought I heard something. What are you doing up this late?"

"Oh-uh, noth-nothing really. I was just...going through some files for tomorrow's meeting. "

Shivaay's eyes softened. "Om, don't worry. Everything's under control for tomorrow. Just get some rest, ya?"

Om nodded, glad that Shivaay had bought his excuse. Shivaay made his way back to his room and as soon as he was out of sight, he saw Gauri come out of hiding under the table. Now he had to deal with this girl before things got out of hand. He tried starting with a patient anger in his voice, but Gauri beat him to it.

"Om, before you conclude anything, hear me out. I live in your outhouse with my di, who is Priyanka's wedding planner. I was thirsty and the house was out of water, so I came here to get a jug for the night. I'm sorry if I intruded, but I'm not a thief."

Om's accusations died in his mouth as he let her explanation circle in his head. So, Annika, the shy wedding planner from yesterday had a smaller sister. And that smaller sister was Gauri! Suddenly his conversation with Annika during the roka and his conversation with Gauri on the train started to make a lot more sense. She was living in his outhouse which Priyanka had lent to the friend who had lost ownership of their house. He looked at Gauri in embarrassment and pity. She had lost her house.

"Why didn't you tell me on the train?

"I never thought I would see you again. And like I said, I don't tell strangers where I live and what I do with my life. That information is very confidential, you see."

Gauri shifted uncomfortably in his unwavering gaze and sat down on the poolside with her legs in the water, glad to be out of his intense stare. She didn't like talking about her family's hardships, especially with a man she was very attracted to and who was staring her down in what she could only conclude was curiosity. She felt movement next to her and realized that Om had taken his seat next to her on the poolside and dipped his feet into the pool. She looked at him for a moment and saw him staring straight ahead in deep thought. Then, he turned to her and caught her eyes with his.