THREE

CHAPTER THREE; CARTER MEETS THE SECRET OF LIFE

❝ everything, in time. ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

THE NEXT MORNING Carter, Lucas, Riley, Maya, and Zay stood outside the Gymnasium washing a car. Farkle agreed to time them all, mostly because he was determined to prove Mr. Matthews wrong.

"Done!" Maya said, as she finished drying the car. "How'd I do?"

Farkle stopped the timer. "Nineteen minutes and forty two seconds. You are the worst car washer in this class."

"Not worse than me!" Carter said with her hand raised and pointed at herself.

Farkle looked at her a teasing smile. "Oh no one is worse than you. The only people that washed the car at six and eight minutes exactly are Riley and —"

"Lucas? Was it Lucas? Could've been Lucas?" Maya asked.

"Yeah!" Farkle laughed, oblivious to the tension.

Riley frowned. "I'm not washing a car with him."

It was Carter who turn frowned. "Uh, yes you are. You and him are going to wash this car in exactly three minutes and twenty five point seven seconds so Farkle can go up to your father and go—"

"HA!" Farkle finished. "Now pick up that hose!"

Riley rolled her eyes and suppressed a groan, but listened to him anyway.

"Pick up that bucket!" Farkle barked at Lucas, who laughed.

"Yes sir," The blonde replied sarcastically.

"And . . ." Carter said, looking over Farkle's shoulder at the timer. "Go!"

Riley and Lucas started to wash separate ends of the car. Carter rolled her eyes.

"Guys!" She whined. Farkle scowled.

"No, no, no! You're supposed to work together! The experiment doesn't work if you don't work together!" He complained.

"Uh, Riley I could use some water over here to wash this soap off." Lucas said.

Riley stopped spraying water. "Oh water. You want some water?"

"Yes please." said Lucas hesitantly.

Maya stepped forward shaking her head as Riley stepped backward with the hose firmly in her hand. Oh no. Carter thought. She pulled Farkle back away from the car and Lucas.