prolouge

A subtle breeze wafts by as I aim my knife at the hare in front of me. It's the first one I've seen all season. I throw the knife, sending it straight into the animal's skull. Walking over to it, I pull the knife out and clean the blood off of it with my shirt.

"What do you think you're doing?" I hear a voice call out from behind me.

I quickly turn around, the hare hanging from my hand. Wesley stands in front of me, his bow strapped across his shoulder along with his arrows.

"It's just one hare," I tell him starting to walk off.

He grabs my arm and pulls me back, snatching the hare out of my hand.

"How many times does Damion have to tell you that you can't be out here?" he exclaims.

I sigh. I know that my brothers-all five of them-only want to look out for me, but it seems like I can't do anything anymore without them telling me it's dangerous.

He gives me a disappointed look and pulls me back towards the main road.

"Oh, come on. Can I just set up some traps before we go?" I ask, trying to be able to stay in the woods for longer.

I've always had a love for the forest. The sounds, smells, and sight are all so beautiful.

"No. We're going back so I can tell Damion that you were out here again," he retorts.

"You're such a tattle tale."

"A tattle tale? Are in fourth grade?"

"No, but you're treating me like I am," I say, raising my voice.

We are now on the main road and five minutes away from my house. I dread having to deal with Damion yelling at me for this.

We bicker the whole way there and once we get to the door I plea, "You don't have to tell him. Please. I don't want any more fighting about this type of stuff."

"We wouldn't have fights if you would follow the rules," he tells me, opening the door.

Inside, Patrick and the twins (Mason and Reid) are checkers with an old set we found at the market while Damion is sitting in Dad's old recliner, sharpening his knife. He looks up to see and and when he sees the dead hare, his face turns cold and he comes over to us.

He picks up the hair and slams it on the dining table behind him, "You went out. Again," he says in a low voice.

He always uses the voice when he's mad at one of us. It's actually terrifying.

"So what?" I ask, regretting saying it as soon as it comes out of my mouth.

By now, Patrick and the twins have noticed what's going on and have gone silent, not wanting to get into the middle of it.

"It's the third time this week, Lu! We can't constantly be watching you!" he exclaims, "I'm trying to do what's best for you here!"

"I just want to be able to do something! I stay at home all day and do nothing while you guys go out and hunt and work and do things that can actually help us!" I retort, raising my voice significantly.

"You need to study! I send you to school so you can have a better life than any of us! You're the only one who gets that stuff and you know it!"

"School doesn't put food on your plate! At least not for the next few years! You know you need help! No matter how hard you try, you can't do this by yourself!"

He stays silent and then tells me, "Go to your room."

I sigh, but don't backtalk. I walk into my room and jump on the hard, hay mattress below me. I regret what I said. I shouldn't have been that harsh with him. I know that he's trying to figure everything out with mom and dad being gone.

I don't have that long to think about about it as my eyes start to feel heavy and I drift off to sleep.