Eli

What started as a simple shopping trip turned bad so quickly...

I was sat in the front seat of a Silver Toyota. Next to me was Aiden, who was driving. In the back was Mackenzie, glancing behind her out the back window. Coming up behind us was a formation of black cars that could mean one thing: Hunters.

"They're speeding up." Mackenzie said.

Aiden pushed the pedal further. "This car is so slow."

"THERE!" I shouted. Ahead was a narrow space that our car might just fit through, but the Hunters' wouldn't. Aiden floored the accelorator, shooting through the narrow gap. Sparks flew on either side of us as our metal car scraped along the walls of the alleyway.

A second later, we came out the other side. We were in Central London, meaning that the traffic was bad. Aiden pulled up at the curb, and we all quickly got out. They knew what our car looked like now and we couldn't risk keep using it.

We all turned and sprinted down to the right, where a marching band would hopefully obscure us. We turned several corners, and I began to think we'd lost them. That's when they came roaring around the next turn with their smart black cars driving straight towards us.

Behind us was a closed shop, and I turned and rammed into the door. At first it didn't open, but then I used my powers over gravity to get at the lock. After a few seconds of gravitational fumbling, I managed to open the lock and the three of us tumbled into the shop, slamming the door shut behind us and leaning heavily against it.

"Do you think they saw us?" Mackenzie gasped as Aiden peered out of the blinds.

"No, they've gone the other way." he breathed. "We're safe for now."

We all turned to examine the shop we'd found ourselves in. It was a quaint little cafe, with checkered table cloths and an old-style diner counter. The walls were plastered with pictures, and the floor was laminated.

Oh, and there were three other kids sat at one of the tables.

The youngest of them looked up at us, only mildly surprised. "We're closed." she said. She had light brown hair flecked with blonde highlights, which was hanging over her face. She had a lot of freckles, and she was quite pretty. She couldn't have been older than about ten.

"We need to stay here for a moment." I said, glancing at Mackenzie and Aiden cutiously as I examined the to other two people. The other girl, who was around thirteen or fourteen, was ginger, with hair as bright as a flame. The other boy was around the same age, and gifted with looks that probably meant that he had girls swarming him.

"Are you Spirituses?" the first girl asked.

"Tefia!" the other girl sighed dispairingly.

"What?" Aiden asked. "No, we just need to chill here for a while."

At that point, there was a squealing of car tires outside and slamming doors. Then, someone began shouting through a megaphone, "Come out with your hands on your head!" and a bunch of other stuff that wasn't going to happen.

"They found us." For a moment, I thought it was just an echo. Then I realised that the girl with the ginger hair had said the same thing as me at the same time as me.

There was a moment of silence.

"They're looking for us." the boy frowned.

"Um... no, they're not." Mackenzie frowned back. "They're looking for us. They saw us at the shops and followed us back here."

"Trust me, they're looking for us," Tefia, the first girl, said. "See." Suddenly, sharp shards of rock began shooting up through the ground.

"AIDEN!" I yelled as I narrowly avoided being impaled on one of the spikes.