Chapter 3

I walked down the stairs of my house slowly. "I'm coming," I shouted to the person waiting at my door. It has been two days since the accident, and my back was feeling much better. I was taking the medications on time, and I was taking my vitamins to keep me going.

  I slowly walked over to the door and opened it.

   The person in front of me wasn't even on my mind when I thought about the possibilities. I taught about Sales Promoter, Jehovah's Witnesses, Colin, even my Neighbour but the billionaire Whyatt Wayland wasn't on my list.

  "I know my handsomeness leaves people seeking for air, but that's not why I came here,"

  I closed my mouth and rolled my eyes at him. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting you."

  He frowned at me, "Why are you on your feet?"

   "There is no one else here to answer the door."

   "Your parents?" he questioned.

   "My parents are teachers, so they are usually at work at this time of the day." It was their teaching degree that got us into America. Apparently, there was a need for Math and Science teachers in the US.

   He nodded, "Are you going to let me in?" he said, looking past me into the house.

   I opened the door wider for him, trusting him. When he entered the house, I closed the door behind him.

  "Come, follow me," I mention for him to follow me then something came to my mind. "How do you know where I live?"

   "I'm a lawyer and a billionaire."

  Oh, yeah. How could I forget?

   We walked in the living room, "You can have a seat." He looked around the room and nod in approval. "It's very nice in here."

  I smiled at his approval, "Thanks, I organized it myself." Since my parents were the workers, it was my job to make sure the house was clean and tidy.

   He walked over to the black leather couch and took a seat in it, and I walked over to the other one taking a seat as well. "Would you like something to drink?"

  He shook his head, "No, I'm okay. How are you? How is your back? Sorry, I couldn't stay at the hospital. I had a court hearing to go." Today he was wearing a suit similar to the one he was wearing the day of the accident. I hadn't gotten a good look at it but enough to know it was expensive.

   "It's okay. My back is much better thanks for asking."

   "Are you taking your medications?" I looked into his green eyes as he looked in my brown ones. I didn't really understand why he was asking me these questions like he actually cared.

  "Yes, I am."

   "So, what have you been doing with your days?" he inquired.

   "Well, I'm unemployed, so I normally stay here, clean, watch tv and read." That's pretty the only thing I could I do.

  "You told me you are a paralegal." He stated, looking confused.

   "I am, but because I'm black, it's hard for me to find a job." I saw the frown on his face when I said the word black, but it's true, I am black.

  "That's crazy, where have you been applying to?" Was he really shocked about companies not giving jobs to black people?

  "Many places, but when I go to the interview, everything changes when they see my face."

  "There is nothing wrong with your face." He pointed out, making me blush a little, "Did you apply for Wayland's?

   I shook my head; I didn't want to apply for the biggest company in New York just to be turned down because of my colour. I wouldn't be able to cope.