Chapter 5

I looked at him in shock. 

So it was okay for him to call me Baby Doll, but I can't call him by his first name.

Unbelievable! 

I wanted rolled my eyes and give him a piece of me but I can't. 

Calm down, Tatty; you need this job. 

I cleared my throat and composed myself,  "Mr. Wayland, I'll be 100% dedicated to this job." and I will be. This job means a lot to me. It's my first job as a paralegal, and I'm working at one of the most renowned law firms in New York. If I mess this up, then I'm doomed. Normally people start at the bottom and make their way to the top, well I'm at the top, and I plan on staying there. If following Whyatt rules was the way to keep the job, then I'll live by them. It was quite obvious that he had an ego the size of an ocean, but I won't let it get to me. He was born rich and probably wasn't thought proper manners so I'll ignore his insufferable behaviour. 

If I become the best paralegal that's ever worked for him then maybe he might be willing to give me a recommendation for law school.

"Good," he said then clapped, "Now that we have that sorted out, I can go over some ground rules with you." I nodded and waited for him to continue. "I specialize in corporate law, but from time to time, I take on criminal cases. Your job consists mostly of filing for sanctions, patterns, drafting documents, checking emails and overseeing my schedule."

"That's fine with me." I learnt all those at university, all I have to do now is apply my knowledge. 

"One more thing. No pro bono. We're running a law firm, not a charity foundation." his words were cold as ice, but it wasn't the first time I've heard a lawyer express their thoughts on pro bono work.  Majority of lawyers didn't become lawyers to help people; they became lawyers because of the money. 

I want to be a lawyer to help people, the money is just a great bonus. 

"Okay, no pro bono." I've heard of the Wayland's law doing pro bono work a few times so maybe it was just Whyatt who does do pro bono. 

He nodded, "I suggest you start looking for an apartment. You live a bit far from here, and I don't accept tardiness, and you will work late sometimes. It would be better to get an apartment in the city. Traveling by train is not very ideal either."

Doesn't he know how expensive apartments are in Manhattan? Probably not, the man was born with a gold spoon in his mouth. 

" I can't afford an apartment in Manhattan, sir. This is my first job since I finished college." He knew this; I told him this.

"I figured you couldn't, so I'll give you an advance." he paused then continued. "You're old enough to be living on your own."

I took a deep breath. 

This man had no filters at all. He just says things without even thinking. 

Instead of saying what I really want to say,  I thanked him. "Thank you, Mr. Wayland. I appreciate your concern."

"I think Gerald and Sue are looking for a new roommate so you can talk to them later." he pushed back his chair and stood. I lifted my head and looked at his muscular frame.

Damn! He was tall and incredibly handsome. 

Having him hover over me like that made me feel powerless, like a little kitten. 

"Come with me. I'll give a short tour of the floor and show you your office."

"Office?" Did he really say office?