woodsmith

Ivan Torrent - Beyond Love (feat. Lara Ausensi)

*^*^*^*^*^*

Rieth, son of Riles, a refugee of the Relic Remnant, wiped the sweat from his brow, pushing back a strand of dark hair that had escaped the tie that held the rest back in a ponytail. His beard was unbearably hot in the coastal Aetherian summer, but he dared not shave it. Some of the lesser houses of the royal court had discovered the small fishing community his late brother had started. They were hiring the best craftsmen in the kingdom to create ornately decorated villas overlooking the sea. His brother had sent him a message to take this job and come home.

It was a risk to be back on Aetheria , but his decades long search had yielded no clue as to where his sealed one was hidden. He had searched every planet, personally visiting all the known settlements and a few secret ones, but he wasn't going to give up because he could still hear her singing at the same hour almost every day. In the work room he had been given in the villa's servants' quarters, the air felt stifling. He finished unpacking the wood for the elaborate floor and was surprised to see the wood had already been stained. But the closer he examined the grain the more he realized the wood had grown with the strange tones of greenish-blue, golden-yellow, and red in them. He had never seen anything like it.

Lord Trudolt cleared his throat and Rieth turned and bowed. "Lord Trudolt."

"Lord Abrieth, this is Rieth, son of Riles, he came from old Aetheria like you. His wood carving skills are unmatched by any modern carver. I was lucky to hire him before another house for my villa. Do you like the wood I ordered for the entry floor, woodsmith?"

Rieth bowed again. "Yes, Lord Trudolt. It is a hard wood of exceptional quality and unique color. Since I won't have to stain it, I should be able to finish your mosaic floor in less time than I originally estimated. It is my honor to work on your home."

"My wife was glad to get your name from Lady Serapha after seeing your work on the Xelusian Cultural Center." Lord Trudolt chuckled, and announced to Abrieth, "I love hiring the old Aetherians to work, they know their places and are so diligent and respectful. They..." He was interrupted by the screeching of his arguing daughters.

"Father, Venita took my room."

"Verna said the sun in the morning bothered her, so I had the servants switch us," Venita sniped at her sister.

"I liked that view better!" Verna snarled.

"You mean you like looking at the sons of the House of Orion in their pool." Venita tattled.

"Sister!" Verna jumped at her sister, trying to cover her mouth.

"Girls!" Lord Trudolt roared. He huffed then face Abrieth, ignoring Rieth, "Excuse me, Lord Protector, you have daughters, when they get older, you will understand."

Abrieth laughed, "Oh, I understand now, and they are barely 70." He turned to the wood carver, "Perhaps you could be persuaded to work on my vacation villa next, Rieth, son of Riles?" Abrieth asked as Lord Trudolt dragged his still-arguing daughters out of the small hut.

The brothers glanced around then hugged.

"How can you stand working for him, brother?" Abrieth groaned.

"His daughters are worse, I have taken to sleeping in the forest to keep them from trying to seduce me in my bed," Yurieth sighed. He held up one of the boards, "Have you ever seen wood like this?"

"No, and that is why I sent for you. It comes from Oceania, from a group of islands, but I don't know which one. It could be a place we haven't looked, half the islands in the southwestern hemisphere are listed as uninhabited, but they are under night when you hear her singing." Abe revealed in a hushed voice. "I am trying to find a way to search them."