The whore

"Please, do not call her such names." Murmured Hooney irately. He rolled his shoulder, loosening the drape of her casual arm off him.

A soft snarl and his wife's face twisted into a menacing scowl. She yanked her arm away. "So, now I know those rumors about you screwing your own servant is true. I knew you were petty, Hooney. But I didn't know how low you could go."

"Makes me no different than you. Please, do not create any trouble for me and you. We both knew you were getting licked by your lover well before I picked Hui up as my concubine." He stepped away from her, his movements stiff and guarded. Hooney grabbed my waist and tugged me away from the hallway. "You know where to find me the rest of the evening."

His wife hissed. "Fucking your whore, I supposed."

My face gathered into an unpleasant frown. "Who you calling a who...."

My heated words were cut short when Hooney yanked me away with him. I tried jerking away from his grip, angry with him just the same. He held a secret to me, not once he mentioned a word of his marriage, even though I had a feeling. Too afraid to ask him each time he came for a visit. Too afraid to know the truth.

Hooney had not mentioned anything about me to his wife either, although I had a feeling she already knew, and she didn't care. The way she acted, the way her sneer pulled menacingly to the side of her cheek, the sound of her bored voice as she spoke. It is as if she could care less but would want to have fun with me anyway.

The kind of cruel fun rich and powerful people enjoyed playing.

Hooney held me still, but I fought to free from him. "Let me go, you lying son of a bitch!"

He let go while I rushed to get away from him. Hooney chased after me. "Hui." His voice broke into tender begging caress. I ignored him, my strides only getting faster.

"Stop. Let me explain."

I kept my hasty strides moving until he caught up to me. Hooney held my arm and I halted, heaving shallow breaths. I turned to him, my face flushed with anger, betrayal, pain. "You lied!"

"I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to get hurt. You know this marriage was going to happen before I sent you away."

"No, you said you were going to let your father cool off. You never said anything about getting married!" I said with barred teeth.

"But, you already knew I was engaged. I told you."

He was right, and I was left quivering in front of him lost for words. I knew what was happening, and I knew he'd been married that's why he never came to see me, that's why he left me there as if I'm some kind of toy he can put away and visit whenever he got bored with the other one.

"So, is that why you never came to see me? You would've left me there in that manor forgotten would you!" I snarled at him.

"Hui, you know that's not true." He crooned.

"The only reason why you brought me back here is because I'm pregnant, is it?" My sharp glare poured dangerously into his while his gaze remained soft as he watched me tremble with anger. 

Hooney took a brave step closer.

I hissed warning him to keep his distance. "Back off."

He stayed where he stood.

"I would've brought you back here sooner." He began. "I've prepared to bring you back sooner, but I thought a more serene life in a tucked away country manor was better suited for you. I didn't want you having to go through the stress of the busy capital life. I didn't want you near Niang or my family. They live in a different world than you do, they will hurt you without a thought. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

"...and you don't think you would be around enough to protect me from your wife and your family? I want to be with you."

He loosened a deep breath and watched me for a long time. My nerves started calming down, waiting for him to give me a response. "I can't always be by your side, but you know I will protect you and our child with my life."

He reeled me into a hug and I didn't fight him, allowing his protective arms wrap around me.

"Please, do not be angry. It's late and we're both tired. I know your hormones are out of whack, but I love you, Hui. I will not let anything happen to you." He said softly against my head. I felt his exhaustion resonated in his voice. I knew he's worn out, stressed out, and I'm a problem he was willing to take on and deal with.

I breathed him into my lungs, my hormones waning out and I felt my own exhaustion gripped me this evening. "Keep your wife away from me."

He kissed my head. "She'll know to stay away from you."

My shoulders relaxed and finally allowed arms to fall around his waist. "I'm getting tired."

"I know." Hooney ushered me to the bathroom with him, and we took the bath together, settling into bed soon after.