The Broken Cat and Her Friend The Snake

Start from the beginning

I shouldn't help him at all.

"I don't know." I lie, resentment even stronger in my selfish heart. His fist bangs against the door.

"Don't lie! I don't know why you're acting like this but its getting old. Nanami is in danger!" Tomoe raises his voice and I scoff.

Mizuki wouldn't hurt a fly.

I stand to my feet, easing myself out the small window in the top corner of my room.

By the time that dumb fox figures out where I've gone he'll be too far behind to follow me.

@@@@@

I walk up the miasma ridden shrine, sadness finding my heart as I see Mizuki waiting with Yonomori's two devilish shrine sprits on the porch.

"(Y/n)!" He shouts, a guilty smile on his face. I smile warmly at him, knowing the hurt he's feeling.

He's lost his god recently too.

Unlike me, he was alone.

"You don't still happen to be a familiar of the Mikage shrine?" He asks, his hands fiddling behind his back. I smile, knowing the loneliness he must feel.

"Sadly, I am, Mizuki." I say, coming to stand in front of him.

"Oh," His face falls. "I guess you've come to collect your land goddess?" He asks, looking the guiltiest I've ever seen him.

"Not me. Tomoe might come crashing down on this place if he ever finds it though." I chuckle. "I came to see you. Lets go inside and talk." I say, making my way past him to inside his shrine. There he tells me of how Yonomori was no longer needed by the people, and therefore disappeared along with that need.

I remember the kind goddess who offered her home up to me.

She reminded me of Mikage.

"Why don't we have some of your famous sake, Mizuki." I say with a sad smile. His face brightens a bit as he goes to collect his pot.

The sound of panting enters the shrine as Mizuki pours me a glass, the sacred sake immediately refreshing my tired body.

Nanami enters the shrine, relief finding her face the second she sees me.

"Oh (y/n)! I'm so glad your here." She smiles, looking around the room. "Where's Tomoe?" She asks, her smile dropping at my amused smirk.

Gods I've waited for this moment.

"Probably back at the shrine. I came to visit an old friend," I say, sliding closer to Mizuki as he hands me another glass.

Her eyes shoot from me and Mizuki and they widen.

"B-b-but he-" She points an accusing finger in Mizuki's direction and his head drops. Anger flares inside me once more and I stand, throwing down the glass just to hear it shatter. Nanami flinches.

"What, little Nanami. What ever did Mizuki do to you that was so awful?" I approach her, and I can see the fear in her eyes.

"Did he hurt you?" I ask, anger dripping from my lips.

"No, but-"

"Did he touch you inappropriately?" I ask, taking a step closer, she takes a step back and trips, landing on her butt. Mizuki stands to help her but I put an arm out, and he steps back.

"Did he touch you inappropriately?" I repeat. She looks at her shoes.

"No,"

"Something that you seem to forget, dear Nanami, is that not everyone is as spoiled as you are." I pull her up by her white shirt, jealously making my hands shake with the grip. "Tomoe doesn't dote on everyone, and you are too blind to see how lucky you are. Some of us are alone-!" My voice has risen to a shout by the time I'm interrupted.

"That's enough, (y/n)!" Tomoe yells, now in the doorway of the shrine. I drop the land goddess, turning to hide my frustration. I hold my arms as I face away from the fox and toward Mizuki. He looks at me with sad eyes.

I hear the soft whimpers of the human and I scoff.

"It's okay, Nanami, I'll get rid of the vermin." He sets fire to the shrine with his words and my eyes turn wide.

"How could you?" I say, turning back to Tomoe as Mizuki puts out the fire. Tomoe stares at me with hard eyes.

"HOW COULD YOU?" I scream, launching myself at my fellow familiar. He drops Nanami, accepting my punches with a stale expression. He doesn't fight back. Tears now flow freely from my eyes as I stare at the cold fox in front of me.

"Who are you?" I ask, my fingers trailing down his face. I collapse on his chest, sobbing into his kimono when Nanami's command comes to me all at once.

"(y/n) get off him now!" With a strangled gasp my body springs from Tomoe's, collapsing on the ground as I truly break, my heart shattering as Tomoe and Nanami leave without another word.

I truly have become the world's most selfish familiar.

Mizuki pats my back soothingly as I cry myself to sleep for the second time since I ran into my brother.

@@@@@@@

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THESE READS.

idk if I wanna cry right now because of the chapter or because of how happy I am that people actually like what I write, even if its a little bit.

Thank you SO much for reading, and thank you to all those who vote and comment.

I love you guys.

xoxo

Harleighkinz.