Chapter 8: Charlotte

Octavia and I both woke up startled, by a screaming girl. I ran out of the tent and to the girl's voice, with Octavia right behind me. Most of the camp was now awake, and I spotted Bellamy among the crowd. Our eyes locked for a split second. I motioned to Bell about Octavia and he grabbed her. As I ran along I could hear them.

"What the hell are you doing Bell!?" Octavia asked.

"Look, Layla has got it. It's not safe for you to go. Layla has experience with these kinds of situations" that reminded me, that I should pick up that knife that's by the side of the tree. I quickly grabbed it and ran to the girl. Who knows what danger awaits me?

The girl was asleep. She looked to be around 11. She wasn't in any sort of danger, she was having a nightmare. I knelt down by the girl and shook her awake. She woke with a startle.

"Hey, hey relax" I said in a soothing voice. "Were you having a nightmare?" she nodded. "Do these usually happen?" she nodded once more, and hugged me tightly, crying. "Do you want to talk about it?" I laid a hand on her arms, in comfort. Right as she was about to speak, Bell ran up behind us.

"What happened?" he asked me.

"She had a nightmare. It's okay, I got it. You can go back to sleep if you want" I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Are you sure? What were you dreaming about anyways, little girl?" he spoke to the young girl.

"I'm not little!" she protested. "I have a name!"

"Okay, well what's your name then?" he knelt down by her, speaking softly, with a small smile on his face.

"Charlotte" she said.

"So Charlotte...What were you dreaming about?" we both looked her with soft and reassuring eyes.

"It's just...it's my parents. They were floated by Jaha and I see them in my dreams" she cried even harder, making my shirt wet.

"Shh, it's alright. You're not alone. Trust me" my eyes were full of sadness.

"Listen, Charlotte. The only way to stop these dreams from happening is to slay your demons. Once you do that, you're all good" Bellamy got up and yawned. "Well I'm gonna head back to sleep. Layla, you all good?"

"Yeah" I smiled. "Why don't you come sleep in my tent tonight? How does that sound?" I spoke to Charlotte.

*******

"Layla?" Charlotte said, while I setted up some space in the tent for her to sleep. Octavia was already knocked out, so she whispered.

"Yeah?" I said

"You said earlier that I'm not alone. What did you mean by that?" I was afraid she would ask.

"Well, you see...My parents have both passed as well" I hoped she would be satisfied by that.

"Were they both floated?" clearly Charlotte wasn't getting the hint.

"No. My mother was, but my father wasn't" I laid down, and turned away from Charlotte, hoping she would finally get the hint. Luckily, she did, because she went to sleep.

As I laid awake, I couldn't help but feel a strong connection with Charlotte. She reminded me of my little brother. The way she hugged me was exactly like the way my brother did, when he was afraid. The way she was so curious, and the way she acted, was like Elijah. I silently cried, while thinking about my brother.

Charlotte was my second chance. She was the sister I never had. Of course she could never make up for my brother, but maybe I could get some closure for my his death. I promised to myself that I would never let anything ever happen to her. As creepy as it sounds, she's my Elijah.

I turned back around to see her in a state of peaceful sleep. Octavia was snoring, ever so quietly, but Charlotte was didn't make a peep. I closed my eyes and slowly my depressed thoughts faded away, as I fell asleep.