CHAPTER NINE

"Klaus!" I placed my hands on the top of the Victorian-era trunk I was using as a table and pushed myself up to stand. Just as I opened my mouth to yell his name again, Klaus appeared in the wide doorway of his study.

"Did you find him?" His eyes were wide and eager. The longer he went without knowing what had happened to his brother, the more agitated Klaus became. I hated to be the bearer of bad news, especially given his status as one of the most prolific killers in history. The grin I couldn't suppress wouldn't help matters.

"No, actually, the spell was a miserable failure. Something is blocking my magic." When I tried to track Elijah using his blood, nothing happened. Then I tried tracking him the same way I had Cass, using a strand of his hair, and instead of visions, I ran up against a magical wall.

"Then why are you smiling?"

"Because, just as I was about to give up, the universe decided to throw me a bone. Do you know of any witchy hot spots here in New Orleans? This place is usually crawling with witches; they have to have places of power they use."

"That depends on what you need it for. We're not planning any more Expression triangles, are we? I promised someone I would at least try to curb my violent tendencies."

"No, nothing like that. I need a place already infused with magic so I can draw from its power."

"Bonnie, please. What did you see?"

I met his eyes and was genuinely surprised by what I found. I expected the usual attitude of the demanding hybrid monster, but that guy was nowhere to be found. In his place was someone caring and concerned. Someone with compassion. It made me uncomfortable. I had learned how to deal with cranky Klaus. I wasn't sure how to be empathetic toward him.

"I heard Grams call out to me. She shouldn't be able to do that."

"Why not? The New Orleans witches are quite literally fueled by the power of their ancestors. They commune with them regularly."

That's it! That was what I needed.

"Commune with them? How?"

"It's been done that way for centuries here. Any time there is something big going on, the ancestors have the ability to grant or deny their power to the living. For a while, they became so powerful, they could manipulate the world of the living all on their own. There is a reason New Orleans is believed to be haunted by so many ghosts. It is."

"Is there a place the witches observe as a holy site?" He flashed me an unsettling predatory smile. Yeah, that's the Klaus I remember.

"Lafayette Cemetery," Roman chimed in. "They practically live there."

"Show me."

  ~*~*~*~  

The moment we walked through the cemetery gates, I could feel ancient power all around me, like a crushing weight and a soft breeze at the same time. Klaus said the Lafayette Cemetery was the place of power for the covens of New Orleans, the center of their magic. The aboveground tombs surrounded us in every direction and within seconds, I was turned around and totally lost. Luckily, Klaus knew exactly where he was going. We passed by what felt like hundreds of names by the time we arrived at the tomb we were looking for. And there was no doubt it was the right one.

It was a large mausoleum at the center of the city of the dead. The pungent smell of fresh cut flowers and burning incense permeated the air. There were planters and bouquets of flowers on either side of the doorway leading in, as if they were spilling out from inside the massive tomb. Klaus led the way inside while Roman waited at the door.