Chapter 6

Bit of a more saucy chapter... not of the usual kind but Connie's desperation was something I really wanted to explore in this, so I hope you like it!

On her second day of being in the slot - isolated and alone, with nothing to do except work out - Connie was woken by an aggravated prisoner being dragged into the adjacent cell.

"Get the fuck off me, I didn't sell her the fucking gear!" She shouted, and Connie instantly realised that it was Nicky. She listened intently until the officer left, and then knocked lightly on the wall.

"Nicky?" Connie asked, though she knew it was a bad idea when she heard a bang, and realised Nicky had punched the wall. "What happened?"

"Your fucking princess lagged on me, didn't she? Said she was asking you to keep the gear stashed for her so I didn't find it. Told them I sold her the gear. Bitch gave me another four years just for selling the shit!" Nicky was clearly angry, and rightly so, but Connie wanted to know about Jess. She had confessed to buying and possessing drugs; that was bound to add years onto her sentence.
    "I thought we were friends; I fucking trusted you. If I was looking for the gear, why would you hide it?"

"Nicky, I did it for Jess. She's only a girl and she's afraid - she thought you were going to bash her if you found it, because she'd told you she didn't have any. She didn't want to take it, honestly. She asked me to keep it so that she could wait for an appropriate time to flush it. She wanted that closure, and she was scared you'd take it away from her." Connie tried to explain - she didn't want to be on the wrong side of Nicky - but she knew how ridiculous it sounded now.

"Well your bitch should be in protection now," Nicky growled, and Connie didn't know, but she thought that it sounded like an apology. Soon enough, an officer came back in the room, and opened up Connie's slot. All charges against her had been dropped and she was told that this wasn't going to be able to be used to affect the results of her trial. It wouldn't go on her record, and for that, Connie was incredibly thankful. The first place she wanted to go was for a shower - she'd only missed it for two days but she felt so dirty, and so she gathered her things from her room (which was still a mess from the cell toss) and made her way to the shower block. It was empty, and so Connie made her way up to one of the cubicles, but as she did, she saw a stream of blood being carried down to the drains. She followed the trail a short way up the bathroom, passing about four or five other cubicles, and as she pulled back the curtain, she gasped in shock. Jess. Her face was barely recognisable beneath all the bruises and cuts that clearly showed that she'd been beaten to death, and Connie knew that it must have been because she confessed. She lagged. Checking for a pulse, Connie wasn't surprised to find that the young girl had died, and Connie cried, cradling Jess' lifeless body. She screamed, blaming herself, though for what, she didn't know. Her screams alerted other prisoners walking past, and one of them came in, to see Connie hugging Jess' body.

"Oh my god," the woman at the door said, before reaching out and slamming the panic button. Alarms sounded throughout the prison, and soon, an array of officers rushed into the shower block in unison, pulling Connie away and taking Jess' body between them to medical. Connie knew she had gone, and from that moment on, she had no idea what was happening.

"So that's what happened," she told Jacob, a week later during their next visit together.

"I can't have you in here, baby" he panicked, clearly getting quite angry that she was still being kept here for something that he knew she didn't do.

"Babe, it's only until my trial," Connie whispered softly. "We just need to hang on 'til then, okay?" Jacob nodded, reluctantly, and sighed as he looked at Connie. The two of them were desperate to just go back to normal, and be back in each other's arms, but they knew that it simply wasn't possible for a while. Her trial wasn't far off, and so Connie just needed to lay low until then, though in a place like this, it was much easier said than done.