Prologue

"Have I ever told you that you're my everything?" The light breeze drifted in from the open window, blowing the curtains softly, and circulating the cool air around the room. It was a mild September evening, roughly ten o'clock, and the sky was a deep blue, without a single cloud in sight. It was the epitome of complete serenity, especially for Connie, who was curled into her partner's chest as he combed his fingers delicately through her hair.

"Mh-hmm," was all she could manage, as she pressed her body up closer against his. The quilt was only covering their bottom halves, leaving their chests exposed to the cool breeze whilst they didn't get too cold as their legs were covered. She was on top of his chest, and his arm was protectively wrapped around her, stroking small patterns on the side of her shoulder. All he could do was chuckle at her exhausted response, and so he just tightened his hold on her and planted a delicate kiss to her temple.

"I love you so much, beautiful." They remained like that, in a state of sheer bliss, and after spending some time watching her small frame upon his chest, he decided to close his eyes and join her in a deep slumber.

That was, of course, until there was a threatening hammering upon the door, that echoed throughout the entire house. Jacob jumped awake in an instant, propping himself up to sit up on the bed, whilst Connie groaned outwardly with her eyes still shut, before slowly forcing herself to heave her fatigued bones up. As she opened her eyes, she saw a series of red and blue lights vandalising her bedroom walls, attacking the calmness that was there only moments before. Another rhythmic knock sounded and Connie forced herself off the bed, pulling a dressing gown off the back of the door to cover herself, as she had been sleeping completely naked.

"Mrs Beauchamp, this is the HCPD," a voice bellowed, and Connie rolled her eyes as her and Jacob made their way downstairs. The HCPD - being the Holby City Police Department - had called to Connie's almost everyday this last week, but never once had it been at an unreasonable time such as this. Jacob had pulled on some boxer shorts, as he wanted to be there for Connie when she answered the door.

"Goodness sakes - I know who it is; give me a minute!" She shouted angrily, before finding her keys and unlocking the front door. She was met by two police officers stood in her doorway, and Connie felt the cold breeze hit her skin, and so she pulled the robe tightly around her body, folding her arms.
    "What's so important that it couldn't wait until morning?" Connie sighed tiredly, and the two officers looked to one another before proceeding with their message.

"Some compelling evidence has been discovered this evening regarding the Sam Strachan case," one of the officers informed her. He was small and plump, whilst the other was tall and lean, but both looked equally as stubborn as each other. However, the information interested Connie, but before she could ask, she heard her daughter, Grace, from behind her. The police had obviously woken her too.

"Mum, what's going on?" Grace asked, clinging to Jacob's side.

"They've found some more evidence about your dad," Connie smiled, encouraging her to do the same. She turned back to the officers. "So, does this mean you've found the person that killed him?" Again, the two officers looked to each other, and the taller one pulled out a pair of handcuffs whilst the other spoke to Connie.

"Constance Beauchamp, you are being arrested on suspicion of the murder of Samuel Strachan. You have the right to remain silent, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something you may later rely on in court. Anything you do say can and will be used as evidence." By this point, the taller officer had forced Connie's hands together and had managed to cuff her, and she was beginning to be dragged away from her doorstep. She turned back as best she could just to see the worried expressions etched across Jacob's and Grace's faces.

"I didn't do it, I swear; it wasn't me. I promise you," she cried, her erratic shouts firing like bullets from her mouth. Jacob had tried to fight his way forward to get to Connie but the other officer had blocked his path. Despite this, he'd broken past the barrier of the other officer and managed to get closer to Connie, though there was still at least a metre distance between them.
    "I love you. I love you both so much. Jacob, Jacob, Jacob please look after her. Look after my baby girl until I get back." Connie wasn't crying, as she was too scared to cry - it seemed that the tears just refused to flow even though she felt like she should be crying. As she was forced into the back seat of the car, she saw Jacob and Grace stood by the front gate (as well as a couple of her nosy neighbours stood by their gates), both looking equally as petrified as each other. Grace's face was stained with tears, and Connie reached her hand up instinctively to blow her daughter a kiss, but then she realised that she was handcuffed and so she just sighed in defeat. All it took was for the second officer to climb into the passenger side of the car, and they drove off, tearing Connie away from what was - merely hours ago - a perfectly normal family night. She hadn't had one of those for what felt like so long, and now, it seemed she wasn't going to have one for quite some time...