Trip to Isaac's House

I never had a feeling towards Isaac, as I did towards Gus. I felt as if we both weren't in the best conditions to start anything else but friendship. Part of me longed to have someone to hold and feel infinite with, but no one could replace Augustus Waters. No one could show me the stars as he did. Not even Isaac.

"Hey Hazel. Wanna hang and play The Price of Dawn? I feel like I can beat my high score today! :)"

"Sure I'll be right over! And you always say you'll beat your score but never do! ;)"

As much I wanted to sulk in my room alone, I knew that getting out would be good. Plus, I could see Isaac fail at playing video games. (Even though every time I see him playing, he always fails.)

I took of my cannel that hooked up to my oxygen take, Phillip, and wiped away the tears that had run down my face. I looked at myself in the mirror to see if I looked reasonable to go out. I looked fine, but if I looked deeper seemed broken.

I slowly wheeled my tank down the hall, then the stairs and picked up my boots. I wrote a note to my mom saying, heading to Isaac's be home soon. I grabbed the car keys to my mom's car and headed out.

I had never been a good driver, but had never been as bad as Augustus. The chills of riding in a car with him made me feel alive, like cancer couldn't hold me back from living my life.

A few thoughts later, I arrived in front of Isaac's driveway. I pulled into the tight drive and turned off the engine. As much as I wanted to enjoy the trip to Isaac's, I felt so upset, so broken.

Just like before I managed to get out of the car and knock on the door. Soon Isaac's mother appeared and greeted me.

"Oh Hazel, do come in! Isaac's downstairs playing games. Poor boy still hasn't gotten over Gus."

I don't know if it was something she said or how she said it, but she changed my upset mood into an angry one.

"If you love somebody you will NEVER get over it! It's just a matter of hiding it!" I snapped.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the basement." I turned away before his mother could respond any sort of snarky remark, I just wanted to get away from her.

I rolled my tank to the end of the stairs, then picked Phillip up and walked down. Stairs made my lungs that sucked at being lungs hurt. Every step was a struggle. After constant stops to breath, I got to the bottom.

No surprise Isaac was too busy eating junk food and playing The Price of Dawn to notice me.

"Beat your high score yet?" I smiled as he turned around.

"No! Now I have some zombies to kill." I sat down in the chair next to him and watched him be eaten by virtual zombies.

After two try's then failing, Isaac suddenly turned the system off.

"Hey! It was my turn!" I complained.

"Sorry. I'm just thinking." He sighed.

"Is it Gus? I know how you feel. I miss him everyday." I half answered half whispered.

"Surprisingly no." He chuckled.

"For once it's not, but now that you brought it up.." Isaac's voice trailed off. I felt a sudden pain of guilt. Just because I thought of Augustus every second of everyday, doesn't mean every one does.

"Oh sorry. Anyway tell me what were you thinking before I brought up..." Just like Isaac my voice trailed off being cut off by memories.

"Well I'm thinking about if Gus were here right now, he would tell us to get the hell out of this basement and live life, because it doesn't last forever." I looked at Isaac, even though he couldn't see me because he is blind.

"I guess your right, but it's just so hard. Every day is a struggle for me." I said trying to say that it's okay to mope.

"Hazel, I know it hurts, I really do, but life isn't infinite. I don't want to see you or myself life this. That's the only reason I'm glad I'm blind." Isaac chuckled at his snarky remark. As much as I hated to admit it, Isaac was right, life isn't forever.

"Let's go see a movie" Isaac said while looking towards me. (Well not really) The words hit a soft spot in me. It hit the part that was broken into tiny pieces.

"Isaac I don't know if I can. I mean I'm not really up for it and.." Isaac cut me off before answering with something that shocked me.

Before I could finish my sentence Isaac grabbed my head and laid his lips onto mine. It was a slow kiss. Kissing Isaac made me forget all my thoughts and troubles. Almost made me feel infinite.